Rear Gears?

EI_03 GT

Jan 17, 2010
Hey guys!

Not really SN95 specific but I had a question regarding gears as the title suggest.
Why do cams say you require a gear change when swapping to a after market set?

• Sponsors (?)

I believe the gear they are referring to is the distributor gear. Doesn't really apply to overhead cam motors. Its a small block/ big block Ford thing. The harder metal of aftermarket cams tear the stock distributor gears apart.

But changing the rear end gears to get the most out of your adjusted power and rpm range from a cam change isn't a bad idea either.

Suggested gear has to do with the loss of low end torque and the subsequent top end power that comes from a hotter cam. If your running 3.27 gears and a hot n/a cam, your performance is going to suffer. Think stalling or taking a long time to get to the point where the motor is making real power (drivability issues).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Suggested gear has to do with the loss of low end torque and the subsequent top end power that comes from a hotter cam. If your running 3.27 gears and a hot n/a cam, your performance is going to suffer. Think stalling or taking a long time to get to the point where the motor is making real power (drivability issues).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This