Rear Main Seal, Front Seal, Tranny Pan...All Leaking

Blackrosepet

Jan 15, 2006
Ok, after an inspection at a local tranny shop, I find out that I have one big mess. I was basically quoted 2500 bucks for this job. I know it will be a costly job, but this just seems high to me. The shop guy said it would be best to just start all over with a new transmission, but I'm not entirely sure. What is everyones opinion on the cost of this job (parts, labor) and should I consider rebuilding my tranny or starting over with a new one. It's on a 94 GT with an AODE.

• Sponsors (?)

Man I have seen a few trans. shops try to burn us with our work vehicles....if it shifts and runs fine then why start with a "new" one......if money is a issue and you don't know how to put the seals in...then at least have a friend pull the tranny and save the labor.....that's where the money is at....if it is just the seals and pan then I would do it yourself and save the scratch...

For the FMS, you yank the pulley and harmonic balancer, then R&R the seal. 120 bucks

For the RMS, you yank the DS and transmission, and flexplate. Then R&R the seal and reinstall everything. 250 labor. Since the trans is out, it's a piece of cake to do the pan seal. Maybe 300 at most.

Sounds like a huge frickin rip-off to me. $450 labor max IMO.
Scott

I bet it is just the FMS and that is making the other 2 look they are leaking...

Do the FMS and snug the bolts on the oil pan jsut to be sure... And that is that...

I would say to do it yourself too as the cost of a balancer puller is less than $15 and it is the only specialty tool you will need as far as I know...