Rear Noise Help!!!

Wildstanger86

Active User
Aug 28, 2017
I just took my 86 mustang out of the gauge from sitting for many years. It seamed to drive ok for the mile or two I drove but when turning left at a slow speed I heard like a binding noise coming from I think the left rear. It also did it in reverse to when turning same direction. I am not sure if it does it turning the opposite direction. Does anyone have any idea what it might be.

• Sponsors (?)

It could something as simple as a sticky brake shoe or clutch chatter in the t lock, check your rear fluid level, if its original fluid I'd change it, add some t lock additive and pull the drums and check the wheel cylinders and shoes.

It could something as simple as a sticky brake shoe or clutch chatter in the t lock, check your rear fluid level, if its original fluid I'd change it, add some t lock additive and pull the drums and check the wheel cylinders and shoes.
I checked the left drum and it was not sticking. The drum was free when I pulled it off. It prob is the original gear oil in it and it is a 8.8 with 327 in it. How much slop should you have when pushing the axle in and out and rotating it?

In and out .030 max for the axel
Backlash is like 1" max
That is from my magic book for my 89 gt
Are you going to check the right one?
Change the fluid, put the t lock additive in I'd take it to a parking lot and drive in a tight figuare 8 a few times at a low speed, take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

If it sat for along time the oil between the posi clutches drained leaving part of the clutch pack dry. Take the car to a parking lot with enough space to do full circles with steering turned fully in one direction. Drive around slowly in several circles then cut the wheel fully the other direction and go around the other way. You will be doing nice and slow but tight figure 8's. The goal is to work the lubricant back in between the clutch discs in the differential. See if that quiets it down.

Reactions: 1 user
Yesterday I added about a half of quart of gear oil. So today I took her out for a drive and forgot to do the figure eights as you recommended but it seam to be ok till I drove it a little while and the motor warmed up. Then I made a left turn and it did it so I pulled in a parking lot and turned both direction sharply and it sounded like it was binding. I got out crawled under the car and the pumpkin was hot that you could barley touch it. Is this normal? Could this mean the rear is shot and what is involved in rebuilding it?

Pop the cover off and let it drain that old oil out and put some quality gear lube and the appropriate additive for the ford t lock clutches and then do the figuare 8 thing, just don't get scrappy with it, slow and steady.