Rearend w/posi upgrade - need advice

69Mach!

Aug 24, 2005
I am wanting to put a "better" rearend in my factory original 69 Mach 1. Ratio is high - 3.0, I think - so I am wanting something like 3.50 or 3.70 with posi. Car will be used for occasional cruising, not raced, but I want it "snappy".

First, I don't know if it has the 28 or 31 spline axles. Also, should I buy a complete 3rd member and swap out the old one or buy the necessary parts to build it from scratch?

Either way, I would also want advice on which brands or companies to go with. I see a lot of stuff offered on Ebay, but don't want to go the wrong way.

I am also about to have the engine built. I will go with a fairly stock setup - only adding a cam, carb, intake combination to increase stock hp to something around 320-340 hp (that's another post for another day!).

• Sponsors (?)

There's a 90% chance you've got 28 spline axles. The cheapest way to a posi(traction loc) is to pull the chunk from a late 70's to mid 80's Bronco. You'll get 3.50's (most likely ratio you'll find in these) but with 31 spline axles. New axles for your housing will be another $300-$400. The total outlay this route is about $600 to $700

Ok, that's cool, but what's the cost/benefit ratio by going to a 31 spline? I always assumed that I could make a strong enough street machine with the 28's.

In other words, if I am going to the trouble and expense of changing the rearend, is it a no-brainer to go ahead and upgrade the axles as well or would that just be a luxury considering my mildly-wild intentions for the car?

The only point in the 31's was that's what you'll likely find in the late 70-early 80's Bronco rears. Most of these had traction loc with 3.50-3.70 ratios. They're the most likely to find what you're looking for. Some of the other pickups got T/L too, just not as many.

If you plan on making serious power (above 350 hp) and running slicks or drag radials then you MIGHT break 28 spline axies. Otherwise I would not worry about it.

I would go with a 3.50 ratio. If you know a good rear end builder then have him build you one using your existing pumpkin. Otherwise buy a complete third member and install the whole thing. Be careful about buying from "whoever" on ebay - you might get a piece of junk. Shipping is expensive so you only want to do it once.

Go with a TruTrac limited slip - they are the cats ass. With the power you want to make and the non-race application you have in mind the upgrade on the axles is wasted money.

Dependant on your tranny I'd think about the 3.70 gears.

Good luck...

Posted via Mobile Device

Tru Trac is great. I am running 3:55 with a T5Z and it is a great combo for a daily driver. I autocross a few times a year and the Tru Trac works without any noise or grabbing. I actually got mine from Ebay and it is fine. Check the rating of the seller before you buy. Its also hard to realize any real improvement from a cam without changing the ratio. Look at the cam you are thinking of installing to see is a ratio is recomended.