Rebuilding a Caliper, NEED Help!

Wicked65

Aug 10, 2003
NORCAL
I was in the process of rebuilding the calipers on my 65 mustang. One side was fine, the other side was different internally, so the rebuild kit is not working. In the piston cylinder on the 65-66 caliper, there are 2 grooves, One for the seal for the piston, the other groove for the piston dust cover.. This caliper is fine.. The one Im having problems with, only has 1 groove in it, and there is no spot for the dust cover. There is a serial number, but its not a ford part number, so i have to assume its a after market caliper. It looks like it might have a spot externally to put a dust cover, but hard to tell. Anyone know what im talking about or what i need here?:shrug: Or am i EFF'd and need to buy a new caliper?

• Sponsors (?)

If the caliper has two grooves in the bore, that's the 67 design, one is for the piston seal, the other is for the dust seal.

Of course, the 65-66 caliper has a narrow steel ring pushed on to retain the dust seal. Perhaps these are missing?

Some aftermarket repro calipers are actually the 67 design, and simply have the smaller 65-66 size hose connection.

If the caliper has two grooves in the bore, that's the 67 design, one is for the piston seal, the other is for the dust seal.
Yep, got that one rebuilt fine.

Of course, the 65-66 caliper has a narrow steel ring pushed on to retain the dust seal. Perhaps these are missing?
I think this is the parts im missing.. Now where do i get those from?, and why would that caliper be leaking?? oh Joy.. maybe the cost of the new caliper is worth the lack of PITA.