Rebuilding Rearend

Mavrick

Founding Member
Aug 29, 2002
Collingwood, ON
I have an 8.8 here that im going to rebuild within the next 3 weeks. I'm going to buy new clutch packs (going to look into getting extra clutch packs as well, any info on that?), new 3:73 gear and pinion, and going to clean it up real nice. I am also planning on getting some 5lug rear axles (aerostar/ranger) from the scrap yard.

Can you guys give me some prices for comparison? Any tips or pointers..

Thanks.

BTW putting it together myself with help, so installation is free.

• Sponsors (?)

i dont know, but i think with the clutch packs, guys will use the best of their old ones, to pack it one clutch tighter. i could be wrong.
but you are on the second page, so bump. :)

how exactly do u check the backlash and pinion depth?.......i ask cuz i had a shop install a new rear axle on my car and when ever i get over 40 mph the rear axle whines like no other.

blkstangman88 said:
how exactly do u check the backlash and pinion depth?.......i ask cuz i had a shop install a new rear axle on my car and when ever i get over 40 mph the rear axle whines like no other.

You need to have the right tools for it -- if it makes noise like that, the shop did not install correctly. Take it back.

As for some prices, there are a few places to get FMS gears for about $139, and the Trac-Lok kits are usually around $50. All the bearings and whatnot can get expensive, but it's probably worth it to change them all since you're in there ... I'd figure $100 for everything else.

I'm getting the ring and pinion, and all bearings (except for wheel bearings i think) for $350 (i think this price includes clutch packs too). This is Canadian.. and im working for a shop right now, we're going to install them. Some really experienced guys, so no worries there.

Is that right, to use the best of the old clutch packs to squeeze in?

you dont necessarily need a pinion depth setting tool but it makes it a lot easier. You can determine correct pinion depth from using gear marking compound and getting the correct pattern. Backlash all you need is a dial indicator. Dont forget an inch-pound torque wrench for the pinion bearing preload. Get C clip eliminators if possible as well.

the C clip eliminators eliminate a weak design that lets the wheels fall out if you break an axle shaft. I think there's a full floater kit available somewhere for an 8.8 never seen it tho. That would be the best.

when i rebuilt my rear with 3.73s i had a friend who knew a way to pack an extra clutch in there, ill ask him the deal on that. and we also put an S-spring from an f-150 in there. as for all the backlash and whatnot, i just watched that part, dont really know what he did. the rear was alot "tighter" feeling after all was said and done.

back lash is adjusted by moving the carrier that holds the ring gear side to side so it gets either closer or further away from the pinion teeth. You measure the amount of "free play" it has before hitting a pinion tooth. usually you want from .008" to .014" and it's always better to have more than less. low backlash can ruin gears easily.

Mavrick said:
Cool.. thanks for the info guys. I'm not going to worry about the c clip eliminators.

What is the benefit of using an F150 S-spring as apposed to the regular mustang spring?

well its bigger and puts more pressure on the clutches (i think thats what josh said so dont hold me to that). i saw a difference when i did it, well at least i think i did. rear was alot tighter and reacted alot quicker. they are like 20 bux. look on ebay. a place called mustangwarehouse always has them. its a pretty common upgrade from what ive seen.