Recommend a short block that will work well with Trick Flow twisted wedge Heads?

Joey7508

Oct 23, 2005
Kerrville TX
I have been running a stock short block with Trick flow twisted wedge heads, street upper and lower TF intake, goldcrane roller rockers, trick flow push rods, and an F cam. I would like to stick with that, but I was wondering if any one recommends a well made short block that would work with the TF heads. Trying to avoid having to fly cut the pistons. I was looking at maybe the Ford Racing 347 short block? Like to know what you think or have used with the TF heads.

• Sponsors (?)

There are a number of companies out there that buld short blocks with Trick Flow specific pistons. Just choose your favorite and ensure those pistons are used. It will take a pretty radical and high lift cam to necessitate the need for those pistons. Either that or a pretty high compression ratio.

Rick91GT on these forums can build a block to your needs. Click on the link for RNH Racing in my sig to get to his website.

I use probe srs forged pistons in my 347 shortblock and twisted wedge heads. I like the probe pistons because they come with valve reliefs for inline and TW design. So down the road I can always switch to a victor jr head and not have to worry about the heads fitting.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Keep them coming. I have been looking into the Ford Racing short blocks.?. The 347 ones. They offer them with a nodular crank and hyper. pistons. Assembled for $2400.00. Or a steel crank version with forged pistons. For $3000.00. Both are built with the sportsman block. and all new parts.Any body run one of those? Are they good, bad? They have 28oz balance. The are running a piston with inline valve reliefs. I am hoping the valves won't hit.

Thanks. I'll get a hold of him and see what he recommends. I'll let you know what he says. I took the crank that was walking back and forth out today. I had never seen wear like this before. The bearings are some cheap pos that I had nothing to do with. The motor was in the car when I bought it. I knew the short block was a cheap rebuild I just didn't know how cheap. Any way. The babit from the trust area was gone and the steel underlining was left. It literally ate away abou 1/8" of metal form the cranks thrust surface. So far that the crank cut a grove on the block and cap around the bearing! I will try and get some pictures of the damage, because its hard to explain. Thats what I get though. $2000.00+ dollars worhth of heads and valve train on a $500.00 short block. Kinda like putting a dress on a pig! Luckly I caught it in time before it killed the top end.