Reducing resonance from Magnaflows...

usa1

Feb 14, 2003
I have a 2003 GT and I installed Magnaflows a while ago. Overall the sounds is great, but the resonance I get when driving on the freeway at a constant 2,000 RPM is annoying. Other than driving around in 4th gear, raising/lowering my speed, or installing 3.73 gears, what can I do to reduce the resonance I get? Thanks!

Mark

• Sponsors (?)

Ok well aside from those fixs you mentioned, the only way I see of maybe making it go away is by going with an aftermarket midpipe.I will be getting my magnaflow SS catback pretty soon so I will let you know if I have a drone with my Xpipe...but I have always heard that the SS catback dosnt have a drone.Now my stock catback has a kind of loud different tone at 1900-2000RPM, if thats what your talking about (not the low frequency tone that seems to rattle things and give a weird feeling of pressure on your body and ears..drone) then I guess gears are your best bet...3.55s should up you out of that range and would still be a very good highway gear.Or you could always slow down to the speed limit LOL.2000RPMs is like what 75MPH right.

I notice more wind noise than drone with my MagnaFlows. You might want to try putting some sound deadning material in the trunk like Dynamat Extreme or B Quiet Brownbread or something like that. I plan on doing mine in the spring along with come V Comp under the rugs.

I second low tolerance. My GT had the stock midpipe and Magnaflow catback after exhaust change #3 in the summer of '03. It was by far the quietest V8 I've ever owned aside from the stock catback which lasted all of 800 miles. Even my 2 Formulas were louder stock at steady cruising speeds than my GT with Magnaflows.

Then I changed to a UPR X-pipe (Exhaust Version 4.0) and it was still quiet. It was only until I got 3.73s that it made noise at steady cruising speeds.

Wow, you probably wouldn't be able to stand the Magnapacks for 2 seconds. Magnaflows are pretty tame compared to the packs.

But, to answer your question, I would suggest a catted x pipe or those Bassani baffles...the x pipe made the drone with my exhaust quiet down a little bit.

How is the muff n pipes, suspended from the bottom of
the car?
Rubber straps
coathanger wires
metal hooks
perhaps trying rubber blocks/straps
would get rid of the noise.

Rio96 said:
How is the muff n pipes, suspended from the bottom of
the car?
Rubber straps
coathanger wires
metal hooks
perhaps trying rubber blocks/straps
would get rid of the noise.

I'm using the stock rubber hangers and bushings on the Magnaflow system. The Magnaflow systems lines right up with the stock mounting locations.

Mark

I did exactly what ForPointSex did and while it did not make it go away totally, it helped out enormously. I forget the actual size but just meaure the exhaust tip. Actually in the warm weather, I remove them since I drive with my window open and resonance is not an issue.

I remember my first drive after installing the Magnaflows and wondering if I just made a huge mistake. I wanted it louder than stock but they were not 'barely' louder than stock in my opinion as everyone had suggested. To each is own but I drive 100+ miles a day and the baffles made all the difference.

I did not use the hole that is in the exhaust tip, I pushed them in until they hit the actual pipe and then drilled new holes for the screws that holds them in. They are not so noticeable that way. I also painted them with flat black engine paint to help them blend in.