Removing Front Struts, Help

FoxMustangLvr

I love my Pimp
SN Certified Technician
Oct 14, 2012
Spokane, Wa
I'm currently welding all the holes in my engine bay and starting the smoothing process with new panels. The car has NO ENGINE AND NO TRANS so the front is pretty light weight. I want to remove my steering rack, front struts and CC plates when I start shooting primer and paint soon. The cars weight will be resting on the tires. Will the car be too light to leave the springs in? I have the Eibach Pro Kit. With the fenders off i'm hoping to just unbolt the struts and remove them with the weight of the car resting on the wheels. I'm worried the car is too light with no engine and no trans and the springs will pop out.

Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

Fat zip ties will work. They will not be laying around, I want them to stay in the spring seats as normal after I remove the struts. I only want to remove the front struts but the struts keep the coils from raising the front end up and the coils popping out since the front end is so light (no motor, no trans, no fenders and no front clip.

Fat zip ties will keep the springs in their current state.

Unless somebody knows that the front end is still heavy enough to keep the springs in place while the car rests on it's wheels and the struts and steering rack are removed?

If your question is can you set the car on its wheels with no front struts, the answer is no, the wheels will be flopping around and won't stay upright. You can put jackstands under the control arms though, the springs will stay in just fine.

I'm currently welding all the holes in my engine bay and starting the smoothing process with new panels. The car has NO ENGINE AND NO TRANS so the front is pretty light weight. I want to remove my steering rack, front struts and CC plates when I start shooting primer and paint soon. The cars weight will be resting on the tires. Will the car be too light to leave the springs in? I have the Eibach Pro Kit. With the fenders off i'm hoping to just unbolt the struts and remove them with the weight of the car resting on the wheels. I'm worried the car is too light with no engine and no trans and the springs will pop out.

Any suggestions?

Don't worry about the springs they won't go anywhere believe me.

I did exactly what your asking over 14 years ago by welding all the holes and smoothing the engine bay. I removed the engine, trans, struts and steering rack and there was never a problem in doing so. The only problem you'll encounter is if you have to move the car by rolling the car is the tires will flop from side to side a little which I found not toe a big deal if your moving the car by hand .. Move the car straighten the wheels and move the car again.

View attachment 113447

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks @ALMOST STOCK . That's the info i'm looking for. I'll be able to move the car around on these

IMAG2552.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Those little car carriers are great! :nice:

Did you make those?

Thanks, Yes I did make those myself. Everything I saw for sale were poorly made and the wheels were too small and people complained about how hard it was to move the car around. I can push my car around with one hand no problem and I made them to raise my car up so I can weld my subframes in and also do other work under the car.

I'm thinking about doing a write up on materials and how to make them including cost.

Thanks, Yes I did make those myself. Everything I saw for sale were poorly made and the wheels were too small and people complained about how hard it was to move the car around. I can push my car around with one hand no problem and I made them to raise my car up so I can weld my subframes in and also do other work under the car.

I'm thinking about doing a write up on materials and how to make them including cost.

Do it!

When I saw them, I thought "Damn... Those put the car pretty high off the ground." :nonono:

Then I thought about it some more and thought, "Damn... Those put the car pretty high off the ground!" :nice:

It looks they provide enough clearance to do a LOT of the normal maintenance that you'd have to crawl under the car for.

Do it!

When I saw them, I thought "Damn... Those put the car pretty high off the ground." :nonono:

Then I thought about it some more and thought, "Damn... Those put the car pretty high off the ground!" :nice:

It looks they provide enough clearance to do a LOT of the normal maintenance that you'd have to crawl under the car for.

I kept thinking about making my own and then I thought about making them lift the car up too. I can do just about anything under the car, remove the exhaust, trans and drive shaft, cleaning etc. A lot easier during the winter when the car won't be driven I can push it up near the wall making more room and I don't have to jack it up every time I want to get under the car.

I'll do a write up this week if I get time. Each car carrier supports 1,200-1,500 lbs.

I kept thinking about making my own and then I thought about making them lift the car up too. I can do just about anything under the car, remove the exhaust, trans and drive shaft, cleaning etc. A lot easier during the winter when the car won't be driven I can push it up near the wall making more room and I don't have to jack it up every time I want to get under the car.

I'll do a write up this week if I get time. Each car carrier supports 1,200-1,500 lbs.

Please do. I will likely build a set of these. My car has pretty much been in storage since I retired from the military. I take it out every so often to remind me of all the work that I need to do. lol

It's in a great storage place but definitely be nice to already have "up" with access to the underside.