Removing Oxygen Sensor Questions

mostsmooth

Nov 12, 2002
ok, so trying to take off the passenger side cylinder head.
a lot of the header bolts are stripped, so i planned to do what i did when i took the drivers side cylnder head off; i disconnected the header from the exhaust pipe and took the head and header off as one piece.
so, i think this should be easy enough. i go under andthen i see i cant get to the nut at the exhaust pipe flange because the oxygen sensor (i believe its the oxygen sensor) is right in the way. i assume theres no other way for me to get the exhaust pipe off than to take out the sensor.

so, anything special i need to do or just stick a wrench on it an turn? looks pretty cramped there.
i would have tried it already but i dont have the right size wrench for the sensor nut.
anybody know what size it is?

is there a way to get the exhaust pipe off without removing the sensor? (i dont believe so)

thanks in advance for any help

• Sponsors (?)

It's a 7/8s inch and I've always found it easier to use the deep well socket designed specifically for oxygen sensors. Your local parts store will have one.

9094123_lg.jpg

Even if you can't get a socket wrench in there, you can get usually get an open end wrench on it to get it broken loose.

When you install the new one, use high temp anti-seize compound. It will make your next removal a lot easier.