Removing quarter panel side markers

68FBJJZ109

May 2, 2005
Easton, PA
Does any on have any pictures or information on removing the side markers on a 68 mustang. I did a search and got mostly opinions and such. Also not that a I really care but has any had any legal problems with removing there side marker lights? Any information would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

if you remove em, and fill em and what not, i highly doubt u will ever get pulled over since like the early 68's didn't even have them and all the 67' didn't....i doubt the average cop would pull you over for it ever...and if the cop knew, i doubt he would just because of how ridiculous that would be...

im thinking of getting rid of mine before paint job but dont really know a good way to go about doing it......

Thanks, I was going to PM you directly if no one responded. I also wanted to see about the legal bit if any one has every had any issues. Thanks again but it wont be another six months haha hopefull after christmas you'll never know the car was a 68.

I installed new 1/4 skins without the side marker for my 68 and had to go to inspections through the state and they said nothing.
My front fender light (marker) still has not been installed (6 years) and never had an issue here either. I even went thru state inspection with this void and they didn't mention a thing and passed me.

Thanks, I was going to PM you directly if no one responded. I also wanted to see about the legal bit if any one has every had any issues. Thanks again but it wont be another six months haha hopefull after christmas you'll never know the car was a 68.

I do have some pics of mine, but in reality there's simply not much to show. I'll admit, it's very scary to cut into a nice set of quarters, even if you don't like the markers, but it just takes patience and average welding skills. If there's anything at all I can do in the way of advice or pics, let me know, I'd be more than happy to help rid the world of '68 quarter reflectors! The funny thing is, I dislike the fake '67 "scoops" ahead of the rear wheel, but think the '68's look great, but I don't like the reflectors. So like you, I made the best of both and erased my reflectors, although I pet on the Shelby brake scoops. BTW, don't ash-can the reflectors if they're halfway decent, I sold mine on ebay (along with all the other stock stuff) and made a fairly tidy amount of money. Evidently there are restorers out there slapping all the stock bric-a-brac on their cars as fast as I can take it off mine!

I do have some pics of mine, but in reality there's simply not much to show. I'll admit, it's very scary to cut into a nice set of quarters, even if you don't like the markers, but it just takes patience and average welding skills. If there's anything at all I can do in the way of advice or pics, let me know, I'd be more than happy to help rid the world of '68 quarter reflectors! The funny thing is, I dislike the fake '67 "scoops" ahead of the rear wheel, but think the '68's look great, but I don't like the reflectors. So like you, I made the best of both and erased my reflectors, although I pet on the Shelby brake scoops. BTW, don't ash-can the reflectors if they're halfway decent, I sold mine on ebay (along with all the other stock stuff) and made a fairly tidy amount of money. Evidently there are restorers out there slapping all the stock bric-a-brac on their cars as fast as I can take it off mine!

you sold yours? ive tried selling mine 3 times for $10 buy it now with 3 shipping...no takers...no one even "watched"....lucky.

you sold yours? ive tried selling mine 3 times for $10 buy it now with 3 shipping...no takers...no one even "watched"....lucky.

I don't remember the exact price, but I think it was about $20 for them. I started my auction at $1 and took some very close-up pics. I sold my front marker lights the same way, and I think they got bid up to about $60 if I remember right. Nothing beat the hood turn signals, though. They went for almost $200 for a complete set with wiring. I would've been happy to get half that!