Removing the Intake silencer...

Ok so i took it out, but how can this possibly add hp, now instead of sucking cold air from the fender im sucking engine air... i dont see how its a silencer either, it looks more like a snorkel to suck cold air then something to silence the intake. I have a K&N as well so dont tell me it only works with a k&N.

I call :bs: on the whole intake silencer removal performance mod. If theres anyone here that would like to prove me wrong please do so, i'd like to get some factual information out there about so called free mods.

• Sponsors (?)

I've done back to back Gtech on mine and seen no real gain. However I'm currently running without the snorkel.
1. It is a PITA to fit it back in with my C&L inlet tube.
2. It makes a cool sound so it gives the impression of it been faster.
3. Looks cool to me.
4. There are raging debates on the actually underhood heat vs fenderwell heat. I take no stand on either side.
5. needed the room to run my purge something had to go so it was the snorkel.

My 3 chamber flows are silent with it in, and they have an annoying drone with the silencer out.
thats the only thing I ever noticed with that setup.
BTW this is a horrible topic., Only noobs would debate it.

Of course you are not going to notice any seat of the pants difference. If anything, removing the silencer and dropping in a K&N should free up a couple HP. The silencer is an air restrictor that slows down the rush of incoming air. It is there for noise regulations. Like the age old adage,"The more air in, the more power it makes." Therfore if you have an air restrictor, it will prohibit HP. Removing any restrictor will help. Look at a catted pipe versus an O/R pipe. An O/R will make more power because it has less restrictions. The same goes with heads, headers, intakes...etc. The more air each can draw in or push out, the more it will flow. :nice:

No hp gains to speak of but it does make the engine sound a bit better without the "SILENCER" (cough cough). And its a good first (free) mod for a noob that is dieing to mess with his/her pony.

Next chapter: Do CAIs really work? :banana:

Alright all i have to say is its worth it haha. I revved it while under the hood and it hurt my ears. and then driving at WOT once it hits the higher rpms it popped my passengers ears. Zero performance gains i would say, but makes the car louder, which is the more important thing i think :nice:

Oh and having the odometer tell you your speed/tach etc is also so sweet (under how-to's on mustang world). I love watching my acceleration digitally. However it made me sad to see how much slower it accelerated then my friends 86 corvette... oh well magnaflow in 2 weeks :cheers: