Removing The Low Oil Level Sensor

Mustang936590

Jun 22, 2017
I’ve had a slow oil leak from the sensor and I’m thinking of my options for stopping it. I was going to just replace the gasket but apparently there’s two types of gaskets depending on the year of the car? My pan is a replacement pan so I wasn’t sure which gasket I’d need so my next option was to just get rid of the sensor altogether. Is it as easy as just getting a plug from Autozone and plugging it up? I check my oil obsessively so I’m not worried about needing the sensor really I just want to stop the leak.

• Sponsors (?)

If you take the time to clean the area and and get the correct gasket, it should seal no problem. The gaskets can't be more than a few bucks a piece? Buy both and see which one works. RTV can also be used. I know I would want to know if my oil got that low, keep that sensor! You can't check it while driving down the road...

My 92 still has the low oil sensor and its functional. The 93 vert im also working on had no sensor and was plugged. I snagged a sensor from a 94 gt in the junkyard for $10 and put it in the 93.

I recommend keeping the sensor.