Replacing calipers and rotors - any tips, advice?

Nobody

Founding Member
May 9, 2000
Kenmore, WA
I am putting new PBR calipers, front & rear on my Cobra. I have the piston tool for the rear calipers. I am replacing the rotors at the same time as well. Do I need to get new bolts/e-clips/etc.. for the calipers?

I plan to use the stock brake hoses or get new OEM ones. Is there any reason to get stianless braided hoses?

Finally, the front rotors are on there really good. Is there any finess way to get them off or do I just need to keep hitting them with a big hammer?

Thanks,
Gabe

• Sponsors (?)

Nobody said:
I am putting new PBR calipers, front & rear on my Cobra. I have the piston tool for the rear calipers. I am replacing the rotors at the same time as well. Do I need to get new bolts/e-clips/etc.. for the calipers?

I plan to use the stock brake hoses or get new OEM ones. Is there any reason to get stianless braided hoses?

Finally, the front rotors are on there really good. Is there any finess way to get them off or do I just need to keep hitting them with a big hammer?

Thanks,
Gabe

Hmmm...I don't have a Cobra (wish I did) but rotors usually just come off without any effort.....some rotors may have little retaining clips on the studs.

I just rebuilt my pbr calipers several days ago and there pretty easy. The dust boot just sux to get on properly. Anyways for the front....all you have is a caliper casting, two pistons, two piston seals and two dust boots. Its wery easy to rebuild them just pop out the pistons, replace the seals on the pistons, pop them back in and install the new dust boots. I got two rebuild kits (one for each side) for $14.00 (for both) and its just an evenings worth of work. That will save you about $400 on new front calipers. You can rebuild the rears too...I havent done that so I dunno prices. However it should be easier since you only have 1 piston on each side. Oh and the hand brake lever seal. I dont imagine it will cost you more than $50 and an evening or two to do it all. And the net savings should be at least $550. When you consider the cost factor I think that is by far your best option. Also for front brake lines...our stock ones sux (at least for the GT). There are a few road courses that I know of that wont let you track your sn95's GT if you have stock front brake lines, again not sure if that rule applies for the cobras. In any case I would look into it and possibly consider SS hoses (you could use the money you saved from not buying new calipers for the hoses). Just some stuff to think about.:nice:

Hey thanks a lot guys for the good info and advice.

The Haynes book does walk you through the process of rebuilding the calipers. It doesn't look too complicated. I have already ordered the calipers and they are in transit now. Maybe I can sell my stock Cobra calipers with the rebuild kits and offset some of the cost. Depending on the time that I have, maybe I can rebuild the calipers and send the new ones back. Something to think about. :scratch:

THe 99+ have a pbr 2-piston caliper also however they have different bore sizes. They are 40mm vs. the cobra calipers 38mm pistons. Also, nobody if I were you I would call the company you ordered from and tell them you want to return them and tell the UPS guy (or other shipper) to return to sender. You will prolly loose the shipping charge but its a pretty small loss.

the cobra setup is still better because the 2mm piston diameter does not make much difference and the 99+ rotors are much smaller (11.something") than the cobra ones which are 13" and thus dont provide as much mechanical advantage. Get the cobra stuff if you can.

stprorolla49 said:
maybe im retarted, which is very possible, but the PBR calipers came on the 99+ GT's correct? and arent the cobra calipers that are on there better than the PBR's?

You're not retarded (well maybe :p ) alright j/k..

The 99+ GT and Cobra calipers are both made by PBR. Some refer to the Cobra units as PBRs, also.