replacing door hinges - 1994 cobra - getting to upper hinge, or replace just the pin?

tomc3

Jun 5, 2011
I need some help - I have the new hinges, but can't see how to get the inside nut on the upper hinge. I have removed the side panel by the drivers door and getting to the lower hinge should not be an issue (albeit there is a couple of electrical connectors that need to be moved out of the way), but I can't even see the upper hinge - it's behind some insulation, so I popped the plastic body pushnut out...still can;t see it, but i believe I can access it. I'm considering getting a borescope (at least that's my excuse for getting a borescope!;)) to see what's in there.

1) has anyone tackled this job and have any advice or tips?
2) Has anyone used the Dorman 38395 on a 94 or 95 mustang? I am very confused about these kits - some places (LRS, for example) list them only up to '93 mustangs and they have the full door hinges for '94 and up - that's why i bought the full hinges. BUT, I have seen some youtube videos doing the hinge pins only on later model cars (t-birds, etc) - replacing JUST the pin in the upper might be easier if I can't get tips on replacing the hinge that does not require ripping the entire dash out.
3) I CAN remove the instrument panel, if I knew that would get me access....anyone?

To recap - the upper hinge - how do I access this to remove, or is pin replacement easier (and O.k. on '94).

Thanks for your help.

TomC3

• Sponsors (?)

I do bodywork for a living and you are going to have to pull the fender off to get to the bolts. If you are going to change the pins and bushings the easiest way is to go ahead and take the door off the car. Set it across some PADDED saw horses so you dont bend it and you have to grind the head of the hinge pin so you can drive it out with a punch. Separate the hinges from the door, replace the bushings. Be careful driving in the new bushings because they will easily break. Put the hinges back on the door, door back on the car and you are done. It sounds worse than it is. Hope this helps.:nice:

We currently do not offer any other option on the 94-95 car other than to replace the entire hinge. I can't say I have seen anyone change just the pins out on the SN body cars.

IVE DONE THE HINGES, UPPER AND LOWER. NOT HARD TO DO. YOU JUST NEED TO REACH UP IN THE HOLE WITH A SOCKET AND EXTENSION. CANT REMEMBER WHAT SIZE IT IS THOUGH, BUT ITS A PITA TO ADJUST THE DOOR. SHOULD ONLY BE A NUT SO BE CAREFUL NOT TO DROP IT. IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY, THERE ARE TWO BOLTS OUTSIDE THE CAR, THE NUT IS ON THE INSIDE. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED MORE INFO. I CAN ALWAYS GO OUT AND CHECK FOR YA.

I've actually never done it on an SN, but I've used those pin kits on dozens of other cars including Fox body Mustangs. I can't be certain, but I find it hard to believe that it works on every car it's sold for except an SN Mustang.

Kurt

The doorman kit is for foxbodys, in order to use them on an SN you will have to drill out the hole for the kit to work. Approximately 31/64's nothing bigger. If you never messed with this, I would have to say grabbing new hinges will be much easier than trying to retrofit the fox pins on our hinges but thats just me.

IVE DONE THE HINGES, UPPER AND LOWER. NOT HARD TO DO. YOU JUST NEED TO REACH UP IN THE HOLE WITH A SOCKET AND EXTENSION. CANT REMEMBER WHAT SIZE IT IS THOUGH, BUT ITS A PITA TO ADJUST THE DOOR. SHOULD ONLY BE A NUT SO BE CAREFUL NOT TO DROP IT. IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY, THERE ARE TWO BOLTS OUTSIDE THE CAR, THE NUT IS ON THE INSIDE. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED MORE INFO. I CAN ALWAYS GO OUT AND CHECK FOR YA.

YEAH!

Reactions: 1 user
The doorman kit is for foxbodys, in order to use them on an SN you will have to drill out the hole for the kit to work. Approximately 31/64's nothing bigger. If you never messed with this, I would have to say grabbing new hinges will be much easier than trying to retrofit the fox pins on our hinges but thats just me.

Ok, thanks for clarifying this. That's good information to know.

Kurt

I do bodywork for a living and you are going to have to pull the fender off to get to the bolts. If you are going to change the pins and bushings the easiest way is to go ahead and take the door off the car. Set it across some PADDED saw horses so you dont bend it and you have to grind the head of the hinge pin so you can drive it out with a punch. Separate the hinges from the door, replace the bushings. Be careful driving in the new bushings because they will easily break. Put the hinges back on the door, door back on the car and you are done. It sounds worse than it is. Hope this helps.:nice:

THATS A TOP NOTCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CRISPY.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm replacing my door hinges this spring.