1978 Mustang 2 - Door hinge replacement or pin replacement

TroyFuller

Feb 20, 2024
Canada
I have been working on a 1978 Mustang King Cobra and currently looking for help or suggestions for replacing the hinges (both upper and lower driver side). My ask is if anyone has replaced their hinge pins and if so did you have to cut the old ones off? For the replacement pins what size and if you can send a link to the pins that you used to replace the old ones with? I can not find any pins for this year (1978) that would fit on Amazon or any other site. Please I need your help!

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Welcome to the site and the group!

I've had my hinges out, but I've not torn them apart to say with definitive certainty what size they are. But doing a search revealed that you can pick up the bushings from O'Reilly's. They're advertised as 3/8" ID.

Looking at the compatibility chart, they're used in so many different makes and models it would be reasonable to assume you can use hinge pins from something else, so I'll just venture a guess that you can make any pin work as long as it's long enough. But that would depend on what your pins look like. It's very possible that the bushings are just worn out and replacing them might be all you need. I say that but I don't know what you have to work with.....

Haven’t tried these Myself but my Cobra II needs em too.

For 1974-1978 Ford Mustang II Door Hinge Bushing Dorman 98296VR 1975 1976 1977

s-l960-17.jpg

Reactions: 1 user