Replacing floor pans

• Sponsors (?)

basically if you want to do it correctly, you have to drill out all the old spot welds and then replace metal and re spot weld it. there has been a great howto on Trucks on spike tv recently with them doing a old 60's bronco, which although a different vehicle, gives you the knowlege of how to generally do it.

Another tip, when you cut your seat tray out, put the new pan in place, trace around it. Gives you a guide as where to cut. Then, techniques run amock. I cut about 1/2" inside the trace line. Then, I punches holes every 1 1/2" to 2 inches for spot welds. Then, on the seams, go and run spots every 1/4 inch till it's all sealed. Then get some gray 3M Seam Sealer and run along all the floor seams to prevent rust. It's not as hard as it looks. Did mine in a lazy weekend. Again, this is just how I did it, I'm sure others will know more on it, as it's my first time. Ohhhh Billly...

I replaced mine a few years ago, unfortunately the threads I did (step-by-step with photos) are long gone....:nonono: but slepe67 summed it up pretty well. Take your time, measure twice (or three times) and cut once. I would also recommend, you cut around the perimeter (leaving the 1/2" - 1" overlap) but drill out the spot welds between the frame rails and floor. Also have the car well supported by jack stands and blocks.:nice:

I know you can order one piece replacement floors from cjponyparts.com, I have seen them in there showroom as well. They look pretty decent. I am not sure if this is true but i was told to try and aviod cutting out the whole floor and tranny tunnel due to the fact it a pivital part of the cars integrity. Again I am not an automotive engineer, but I can see where cutting the whole floor out of a unibody car that is not properly supported could cause problems.

68FBJJZ109 said:
Again I am not an automotive engineer, but I can see where cutting the whole floor out of a unibody car that is not properly supported could cause problems.

Use enough jackstands and this won't be a problem...probably 8 would do it. Maybe 10..or 12! :banana:

Maniac!