Replacing gas tank filler neck gromet..

MAXX RS4

Jun 1, 2005
I have to replace the gromet because when the fuel pump was replaced the grommet tore without me knowing.. :bang:

Is there any trick to removing the filler pipe without having to drop the tank? If I lower the tank say 6-10", will I still have to disconnect the fuel lines to the tank?

Pretty much all I'm asking for is the easiest way to do this..

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

MAXX RS4 said:
I have to replace the gromet because when the fuel pump was replaced the grommet tore without me knowing.. :bang:

Is there any trick to removing the filler pipe without having to drop the tank? If I lower the tank say 6-10", will I still have to disconnect the fuel lines to the tank?

Pretty much all I'm asking for is the easiest way to do this..

Thanks

bump..i need to change the exact same part...for the exact same reason. i have been driving around with only a 1/2 tank of gas for a while now...putting it off. !/2 a tank just doesn't last me a very long time...can't figure out why?

md1198p said:
bump..i need to change the exact same part...for the exact same reason. i have been driving around with only a 1/2 tank of gas for a while now...putting it off. !/2 a tank just doesn't last me a very long time...can't figure out why?
Because the Full Line on the guage is probably like really about 75% full. I get about 5-65 miles before the needle goes down to the Full Line when I fill it up to the auto shutoff.

I've been filling up halfway too, and I still get some spillage. My passenger tailpipe looks nasty.

you might have to drop the tank again in order to pull the filler neck out and get to that gromet, because the filler neck does go quite a ways in....

when i did it on my 5.0L i had to disconnect the lines and all to be able to pull out the filler neck and not break anything and the tank was pretty much almost all the way out