replacing header gaskets

SaleenGT2001

Jul 18, 2005
Four Oaks NC
my header on the drivers side is leaking and i need to know the easiest way to fix it. i reused the factory gaskets at the recomendation of my shop. i just ordered a set of Percys dead soft aluminum gaskets to replace the leaking stockers.

i was thinking about dropping the K member and leaving the engine in the car. would this give me enough room to get to all the bolts? i'm gonna replace both sides while i'm under the car.

• Sponsors (?)

I would think you could get plenty of clearance by doing the following:

1. Disconnect the header collectors from whatever mid-pipe you are using.

2. Use a floor jack with a piece of wood on top under the oil pan to support the motor.

3. remove the motor mount bolts that attach to the block.

4. raise the motor a couple of inches.

You should be able to get to the bolts without problems, although you might have to remove a stud here or there depending on clearance if just the nut comes off...

I've done it this way a couple of times with no problems, but I suppose different headers could produce different problems..

drop the K and its a straight shot to all the bolts, except for one on the drivers side, which you might have to pull off the motor mount to get to. And if memory serves me right, you can align it for free when you're finished:nice:

that depends on how much u know what your doing.

My advice is b/c your using percys gaskets, keep tightening those header nuts down for a while, the gaskets are soft so they need to be fully crushed, meaning you will need to turn the nuts alot untill they are really on all the way. that was my expirience, and I have no leaks, gaskets work great! :nice: good luck

that depends on how much u know what your doing.

My advice is b/c your using percys gaskets, keep tightening those header nuts down for a while, the gaskets are soft so they need to be fully crushed, meaning you will need to turn the nuts alot untill they are really on all the way. that was my expirience, and I have no leaks, gaskets work great! :nice: good luck

I can't get my headers to seal, and I'm thinking about the percy's. When you say keep tightening, do you mean do the initial install then retighten a week later? Or just crank the hell out of them the first time and leave them alone?