Replacing Speaker Cloth

toyman

10 Year Member
Jul 19, 2007
1,944
54
79
Vernon BC
Sometime ago someone posted an "how to" piece on replacing the speaker cloth on his SN95 with pictures and a narration. I believe he used a red material to match his exterior. Anyone have a link to this poster? I can't find the reference either here or on google.
 
Is this the cloth over the rear dash and the door speakers? It seems to me it would only be a matter of yanking/peeling the old stuff off and using some paint on adhesive to glue new cloth on.

The speakers are the ones set in the rear side trim (quarter) panels on a 'vert. I kind of figured that a spray adhesive would be the way to go as one of the surfaces is convex. However, the speaker grills need to be removed as the cloth needs to be wrapped over the edge and glued along the back side as well to maintain a clean look.

BTW did the lower bottom door grills have cloth on them? The upper mach system speakers have but my lower grills are plastic.
 
I cant help other than to say that on my fox vert (with a similar panel, however the speaker mounted to the backside of the panel so the grill was not an issue) I used spray adhesive with no issues. The carpet tacked right back down and has been fine for years.
 
I haven't been in my car for awhile so I don''t remember. I think there is no cloth over the door speaker.

I tend to prefer actual paint on adhesive like DAP Contact Cement http://www.dap.com/products.aspx?SubcatID=8

I've used the sprays before and they worked, but the paint-on stuff is awesome if used properly.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Sort of academic now as I mentioned what I was going to do to the upholstery shop that's recovering the seats and they offered to apply the cloth if I brought in the grills.

Leastways, I now know for the future.
 
They are held on by melted plastic.

I was pulling on one of them thinking it snapped in, but it didn't.

What I did while panel was off was get a small nail hold it with vise grips heat it till glowing push into the melted plastic stud (but not to far might go through front) and pull then do the others and it shold come off.

To reattach it you can use either jb weld or equalivilant or melt some plastic back onto the stud push through the hole and heat a bolt up and push onto the stud to flatten it out so it stays.
 
They are held on by melted plastic.

I was pulling on one of them thinking it snapped in, but it didn't.

What I did while panel was off was get a small nail hold it with vise grips heat it till glowing push into the melted plastic stud (but not to far might go through front) and pull then do the others and it shold come off.

I managed to remove the grills by cutting away the melted part of the stud. I'll keep in mind your suggestions for next time. I was almost tempted to see if my soldering gun would soften the plastic enough to pull the stud free.

To reattach it you can use either jb weld or equalivilant or melt some plastic back onto the stud push through the hole and heat a bolt up and push onto the stud to flatten it out so it stays.

I was planning on using epoxy to reinstall. Did that on the door grill with the panel in place. Here I have the luxury of working with the panel out of the car. I might just try melting the plastic with my soldering gun.