Replacing Starter

• Sponsors (?)

Mavrick said:
Only two bolts.. bottom one is super easy. The top you may have to use some extensions and go at it from the front of the motor, or get creative with some extensions and swivels.
:stupid: That's the easiest way. About 1 1/2 - 2 feet of extensions and a swivel. Takes all of 10 minutes to change a starter on a 5.0 if you got the right tools. :)

i did the extention thing to break it lose then i took the rest off and put it back on with a tiny 1/4 ratchet with the 1/4 drive 1/2 inch socket. you might beable to break it lose with the 1/4 inch ratchet.
Good luck! it is real easy but often time time consuming.

Stang8URMPRT said:
lol... With all shorty headers it's cake.. Now with long tubes... Have fun man. Knock on wood that thing doesn't take a crap. lol. :nice:

Actually my longtubes gave me a little more acces to the bolt because of the way they are bent. I have no idea what brand they are before anyone asks, i bought them from sureshot.

I used to use the x-number of feet of extension method to get to the top bolt, but last time I had my tranny out a friend of mine had these wrenches that were like a half-moon shape. Got right in there and took it out. :nice:

Best is to string together enough extensions to get to it from the front of the engine.

I strongly suggest using a 6 point socket.

If you round the corners off of the bolt, it is one mother to remove. Been there done that. Spent 8 hours getting one out......

I replaced my old starter a week ago. I first got the front of the car up on jackstands. Next I took 2 10" extensions (1/2" drive), universal joint and a 12 point socket (1/2" I believe). If you have a 6 point socket use that instead. There is almost a straight line just above the steering rack to get to the top bolt. Took me 45 minutes to pull it off and install the new one. Very simple.

Stang8URMPRT said:
:stupid: That's the easiest way. About 1 1/2 - 2 feet of extensions and a swivel. Takes all of 10 minutes to change a starter on a 5.0 if you got the right tools. :)

Doing in this way took just a couple of mins to get the bolt out. Soooo easy, thanks.