Representing 5.0 Magazine in the Castrol Syntec Top Car Challenge

I thought I'd share because I'm extremely excited about this. A while back I sent in an entry for my Cobra in the Castrol Syntec Top Car Challenge for 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords magazine. The Castrol Syntec Top Car Challenge is a hard-core endurance test sponsored by Castro Syntec, that pits vehicles selected by the editors of 5.0, Eurotuner, Import Tuner, Honda Tuning, Modified, Lowrider and Super Street magazines, in a head-to-head competition to determine who has the ultimate car setup.

Registered and insured, street vehicles will be tested in the following categories: Lap times during a 20-minute road-course session; quarter-mile e.t and quarter-mile speed; rear-wheel horsepower measured on a chassis dyno; power-to-weight ratio; emissions; acceleration from 0-60 mph; braking from 80-0 mph; endurance during a drive from Los Angeles to Buttonwillow Raceway, and vehicle cost. Any fuel can be used, but only Castrol oil (any weight you specify) can be used in all the engines of the cars that are competing.

I was lucky enough to be chosen by 5.0 to represent them in the challenge. I have already done a photo/video shoot with 5.0 and my first video interview is up on Castrol’s website. You can see the video here 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine Car Videos - Castrol SYNTEC Top Car Challenge. They also anounced me as the winner on 5.0's website which you can see here Check Out Our "Top Car" | Featured Mustangs & Fords Blog & Discussions at 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords Magazine and you can follow the build up of my car at Motorgen.

I've been working hard on the car preparing it for the challenge and have picked up some sponsors to help out. Crest Chevrolet fixed my paint and detailed the car before the photo shoot. I've installed a complete Maximum Motorsports Road and Track Box suspension system. Vortech rebuilt my supercharger. I installed a new timing cover gasket and water pump and new Powerslot rotors with Hawk Racing pads. The final things I have to do is mount the Nitto NT01 tires and install the UPR intake tube and then dyno the car to check the tune. The competition is happening June 29th - July 2nd so I only have two weeks for everything to be perfect.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks. I finished installing the UPR intake tube this afternoon and it increased my boost by 3psi. With the stock Vortech intake I saw 8-9psi and I now see 11-12psi. I only jumped on it a couple time to see how much more boost it made and to see if it would detonate which it didn't thankfully. I still need to get it over to GTR High Performance so we can check the tune and make sure it doesn't go lean.

Here's a picture of how the car looks now.

100_0360.JPG

Don't give out all of your secrets, I just know the competition is reading :nice:

If you feel like running a LCR sticker on your car, we'll throw in a free car-wash, and with San Diego's water conservation schedule, that's hard to pass up!

Don't give out all of your secrets, I just know the competition is reading :nice:

If you feel like running a LCR sticker on your car, we'll throw in a free car-wash, and with San Diego's water conservation schedule, that's hard to pass up!

Thanks for the offer but I buy all my Cobra's parts at GTR High Performance here in Rancho Cucamonga and already have them as a sponsor. I don't think the competition cares what I have because all the other magazines except Lowrider have fully sponsored race cars or Tuner's shop cars. Only Lowrider and 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords actually picked readers street cars.

I thought I'd share because I'm extremely excited about this. A while back I sent in an entry for my Cobra in the Castrol Syntec Top Car Challenge for 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords magazine. The Castrol Syntec Top Car Challenge is a hard-core endurance test sponsored by Castro Syntec, that pits vehicles selected by the editors of 5.0, Eurotuner, Import Tuner, Honda Tuning, Modified, Lowrider and Super Street magazines, in a head-to-head competition to determine who has the ultimate car setup.

Registered and insured, street vehicles will be tested in the following categories: Lap times during a 20-minute road-course session; quarter-mile e.t and quarter-mile speed; rear-wheel horsepower measured on a chassis dyno; power-to-weight ratio; emissions; acceleration from 0-60 mph; braking from 80-0 mph; endurance during a drive from Los Angeles to Buttonwillow Raceway, and vehicle cost.

Thats just so cool. My kind of test/competition!

Keep us posted, man.

And pics!!

Congratulations mang! That is super killer.

Sorry but I had to laugh about one of your sponsors."Crest Chevrolet fixed my paint and detailed the car before the photo shoot." :rlaugh:

Congratulations mang! That is super killer.

Sorry but I had to laugh about one of your sponsors."Crest Chevrolet fixed my paint and detailed the car before the photo shoot." :rlaugh:

Thanks. Ya, my brother is the assistant service manager there. The car was already in to have the peeling paint on the trunk fixed before I found out that I won. Once I found out they sponsored me so I didn't have to pay for it. He also had his guys detail it and apply the sponsor's stickers. They did an excellent job matching the paint. You can't even tell that the trunk was resprayed. If anyone needs paint work give them a call at (909) 883-8833 and ask for Phil Cooper. Just tell him that you saw their work on my car. Instead of having a sticker that shows Crest Chevrolet we put Crest Collision Center.

100_0361A.JPG

Definitely subscribing to this thread...congrats and good luck!

So how did a Chevrolet dealership end up working on a Ford? LOL

My brother is the Assistant Service Manager at Crest.

I ran into a problem today while driving the car to take my daughter to the dentist. It's warmer today than it has been since installing the UPR intake tube and I was running the air. While accelerating in second gear to get up speed entering the freeway the car detonated. I had an appointment to dyno the car tomorrow at GTR but I'm going to cancel it. I instead will be taking it to my tuner Steve at Powertrain Dynamics. I only have an 80mm Lightning MAF so I'm sure that I'm pegging it. The reason I know this is because I pegged it the first time I had the tune done 70,000 miles ago but it was right when we stopped the pull which was at 6,000rpms. Steve says we can add the Mafia device to tune the MAF and I should be fine with the rest of my setup.

So I just got back from GTR and the good news is that the car isn't going lean so I won't need to install a Mafia. It also made almost the identical (-1rwhp) power that it did when we first tuned it 4 years and 70,000 miles ago. Granted this was with the new UPR intake tube installed but it was also with only 6 degrees of initial timing instead of 10, a hotter outside temp of 90 degrees compared to 50 and a 1500ft increase in elevation. I'm really happy with it. :bigthumbsup: We also only tested the pump gas tune.

The bad news is that the A/F went way rich above 5000rpms at below 10:1. I know there is more power to be made by leaning out the mixture above 5000 but I also need to have Steve pull out some timing so I can run it at 10 degrees initial again without it detonating. It didn't detonate when we ran the dyno tests and only did that one day but I would rather be safe and have some more pulled from the top end. My only issue is that it will cost me a minimum of $125 to have it retuned and I've already dumped so much money into it. I'll update you on what I decide to do.

I talked to my wife about this and she told me that I need to get the car tuned so I guess I better listen to her.
Is your tuner a Mustang fan? I mean couldnt you get him to tune for free and slap another sticker on the car? Mabey he will put more into it to make the tune perfect so you can stomp the competition. :shrug: