Resonators Install. Where is the best location?

COBESGT

Oct 19, 2004
Dubuque, Iowa
I'm getting ready to install my Pypes M80 Resonators and was wondering where the best place to install these would be?

Option 1 - Should I install these in the middle section of the Pypes O/R H-Pipe, in the section where the downpipes hook-up to the rear section (basically near the tranny and ahead of the H-cross-over)?

Option 2 - Should I install these at the end of the Pypes O/R H-Pipe, in the first section of the over-the-axle pipe, just after the H-Pipe clamp?

I was thinking that if I chose Option 1, I would not be choping up my exhaust after the H-pipe. This option would leave me with the opportunity to swap out the O/R H-Pipe and Resonators with the stock H-pipe, and the Flowmasters tone that I previously had. Option 2 would leave the Resonators installed in the exhaust, with the stock H-pipe, and Flowmasters. What would the exhaust tone be like? I'm guessing quiet.

The goal that I'm looking to achieve is to get rid of the trumpting and perhaps reduce the loudness a little. Is it going to make a difference where these are installed to achieve this goal? From my previous Mustangs, they had 2 CATS and 2 Resonators (I think the 2 rear ones were considered Resonators) installed in the stock H-pipe. So I was thinking Option 1 would make the most sense.

Your opinions/knowledge on this are appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

I'm getting ready to install my Pypes M80 Resonators and was wondering where the best place to install these would be?

Option 1 - Should I install these in the middle section of the Pypes O/R H-Pipe, in the section where the downpipes hook-up to the rear section (basically near the tranny and ahead of the H-cross-over)?

Option 2 - Should I install these at the end of the Pypes O/R H-Pipe, in the first section of the over-the-axle pipe, just after the H-Pipe clamp?

Well it's done and after looking into Option 1, I decided there just was not going to be enough clearance. So I went with Option 2 and mounted these like a Mid-Muffler System. Thank goodness the "Trumpeting" is now gone! It's quieter than before, no raspyness, sounds good, and best of all the wife is now happy!:nice:

So you did them like I've got mine? How do they sound with the O/R H pipe? Mine sound amazing with the O/R X pipe.

Yep, I welded them in like you have yours. I located mine about 6" from the end of the H-Pipe, in the straightest section of the over-the-axle pieces. The sound from inside the car is good, no resonance, no drone and not too loud. When you get on it, it really opens up and sounds great (from inside the car anyway). I had my wife take it for a short spin so I could hear it from outside and it sounded great as well. I just wish she would of really gotten on it, so I could hear what the car sounds like when I drive it!!!!

Yep, I welded them in like you have yours. I located mine about 6" from the end of the H-Pipe, in the straightest section of the over-the-axle pieces. The sound from inside the car is good, no resonance, no drone and not too loud. When you get on it, it really opens up and sounds great (from inside the car anyway). I had my wife take it for a short spin so I could hear it from outside and it sounded great as well. I just wish she would of really gotten on it, so I could hear what the car sounds like when I drive it!!!!

Sweet, good to hear. :nice: