Return of the 5.0 Mustang

• Sponsors (?)

you know, for the mod motors being more 'efficient' why haven't the MPG improved that much?

but they do make a ton of power (read 03-04 cobra, GT500) you don't see too many production cars making that much power with the relatively easy mods being done to make the power.

I see an upward trend in power in the base GT models directly related to the new mopar and chevy threats to ford's market share coming soon...

I really dont see a pushrod motor in the new stangs either, but they did make that new Boss 5.0 block. They already reengineered the 5.0 somewhat, so the blueprints are there, and its better/stronger than our blocks. But I still dont see them mass producing the Boss bock for a production car and designing some new heads to go with it.

As far as Ford is concerned pushrods are dead. The Boss block is an aftermarket block...period. I will be the first (and probably happiest) to eat my words if they bring the pushrod back, but i'd say you'll sooner see them go bankrupt than to put the pushrod engine back into production.

Anyone know if Ford is going to use anything like cylinders-on-demand?

It's the ony way I see the big motors staying around (or getting past CAFE). Then everyone can tune around or tailor the performance of said function as desired.

you know, for the mod motors being more 'efficient' why haven't the MPG improved that much?

The way MPG is measured has changed. Today it's measured in real-world conditions to better reflect actual economy.

The 5.0 was rated around 25MPG highway back then and today the 4.6L is rated about the same. But the way they were both measured is completely different. I beleive reading that 25MPG about 10-15 years ago really equals 20-21 or something in that range.

The way MPG is measured has changed. Today it's measured in real-world conditions to better reflect actual economy.

The 5.0 was rated around 25MPG highway back then and today the 4.6L is rated about the same. But the way they were both measured is completely different. I beleive reading that 25MPG about 10-15 years ago really equals 20-21 or something in that range.

Not so sure about that. When mine was stock & had low miles 24-25 was the norm on the highway.

Also cars are getting a lot heavier for safety reasons.