reverse lights

Rusty66coupe

Sep 9, 2008
One thing that I need to get fixed on the Stang prior to my next inspection date is the fact that my reverse lights do not work.

I am thinking that replacing the Neutral Safety / reverse light switch might solve the problem.

My reverse lights are new, just put them on about a month ago. I did not really think replacing these would fix the problem but I was rewiring the rear end of the car and figured why not since I was at it. Plus the new ones are much cleaner and generally nicer looking :nice:

I know my neutral safety switch works because the car will not start if the gear shift isn't in park.

Is is possible (or probable) that the neutral safety function of the switch could work fine while the reverse light part is no longer working?

• Sponsors (?)

Easy to check. Find the 4 wire connector coming out of the firewall on the drivers side. THere should be two wires one color and the other two wires both another color. Two are the ign - red w/? stripe and the other two will be black w/red stripe. Pull the connector apart and jumper the two black w/red strip wires on the firewall connector. Turn the switch on and the back up lights should be on. Troubleshoot from there. If no lights, pull the jumper wire and make sure you have 12v, or a good test light indication on one of the two terminals that you had jumpered. If that's good, hook your jumper back up, and check connections in the trunk. Especuilly grounds, AND the bulbs in the backup light sockets. If no 12v, check the fuse box. I didn't dig up the exact fuse. Busy today. Also watch for rust on the contacts of the fuses, and watch for ancient fuses that look good, but the end caps have disintegrated inside and come loose.

Oh yea, there is a connector for the back up lights above the drivers kick panel too. Where it makes the run to the trunk.

Do what I did, Take them off. I believe that not all 66's came with them, Correct?? I wanted to clean up the rear of the car and replaced my rear valance with one that did not have the reverse light holes. I also welded the the valance in for the smooth look.