• Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech

Reverse Wire - Please Help

  • Thread starter Thread starter ykr1
  • Start date Start date Mar 23, 2008
Y

ykr1

New Member
Oct 21, 2003
18
0
1
Trenton, Nj
Mar 23, 2008
#1
  • Mar 23, 2008
  • #1
Hey Guys,
I am in the process of installing a rear view camera for a Kenwood Headunit. One of the wires points to the reverse light on the car. Does anyone know where this wire is located? I am trying to tap into this wire so the HU automaticly turns on the camera when I am in reverse. I have a bone stock 05 GT. Any Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot.
 

Emay

Member
Oct 4, 2006
228
1
18
South Elgin, IL
Mar 23, 2008
#2
  • Mar 23, 2008
  • #2
ykr, there's three logical things you can do here, because I don't think your going to find that wire in the dash near the radio at all.

Run a lead from the gear select switch in console. Use a test light to catch the actuating wire. I don't recall the wire color or I'd give it to you..

Run a long lead to the trunk and grab the signal off the reverse light itself.

Or go under the hood and grab it off the fuse box..
 
Y

ykr1

New Member
Oct 21, 2003
18
0
1
Trenton, Nj
Mar 23, 2008
#3
  • Mar 23, 2008
  • #3
Emay - Thanks alot for the reponse. Just have one more question. Do you know which fuse controls the reverse light? Once I find that, all i have to do is run a wire that connects to my HU...right?

Also, what do you mean by the "actuating" wire...sorry if I seem like a idiot, just a little confused


Again, thanks for your help
 

Emay

Member
Oct 4, 2006
228
1
18
South Elgin, IL
Mar 24, 2008
#4
  • Mar 24, 2008
  • #4
Actuating wire or better term ( the wire on the switched side of the circuit).

There's a hot lead coming to it that has power, on the other side of the switch is the actuating wire once the car is placed in reverse, all of the wiring for the rear of the car passes in loom down the driver side of the car.

As far as the fuse, I'll have to look tonite.. Sorry I didn't catch these questions yesterday, I could have been far more helpful..
 
Y

ykr1

New Member
Oct 21, 2003
18
0
1
Trenton, Nj
Mar 24, 2008
#5
  • Mar 24, 2008
  • #5
No Problem Emay, you have been a great help already.

I called Crutchfield. They said that the reverse wire is located on the 52-pin harness in the passenger side kick panel. They said that the wire is white with a yellow stripe and is in pin # 13. The actual clip is blue and is on the top right of the fuse box. This controls the reverse light. Im not sure if this works yet.... Im going to hook it up tomorrow. . I am very hesitant to tap into this wire via wiretap because i dont like to cut any factory wires for obvious reasons. I tried to simply put a peice of the wire in the pin slot and clip it back into place. I will let you know how it goes....If you come up with any more information please let me know beacuse i am still unsure if this is going to work.Again, Thanks for your help.

P.S - You have one BADA$$ Stang...Really Realy Good Work
 

Emay

Member
Oct 4, 2006
228
1
18
South Elgin, IL
Mar 24, 2008
#6
  • Mar 24, 2008
  • #6
A way to test that pin is to put the key in the on position without the car running, leave parking brake on so car doesn't move and put car in reverse.. with a test lite on the wire in question it should turn on, then pull car out of reverse at which point it should shut off..

I wouldn't just tap the wire to the headunit without checking it activates correctly on a test light first.. Crutchfield is fairly helpful, but it always pays to double check first rather than damage a perfectly good head unit..
 
Y

ykr1

New Member
Oct 21, 2003
18
0
1
Trenton, Nj
Mar 24, 2008
#7
  • Mar 24, 2008
  • #7
How can I get the test light to feed off the wire? that is the problem... The only way to do it would be to wire tap into it..which i dont want to do just to test it. any other ideas?
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

M
Please help me identify this.
  • MattyB77
  • Jul 2, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
3
Views
164
The Welcome Wagon Jul 4, 2026
gkomo
C
Electrical Under dash wiring
  • ChicagoMustang
  • Apr 17, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
182
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Apr 17, 2026
AeroCoupe
A
Resolved Electrical Help Please
  • Alabama
  • Jan 22, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
332
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jan 22, 2026
AeroCoupe
T
Need help 67 hazard flashers not working
  • THS70
  • Jan 21, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
15
Views
879
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jan 29, 2026
Noobz347
T
2003 GT cluster issue
  • Timothys gourmet
  • Aug 26, 2025
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
241
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Aug 28, 2025
Mustang5L5
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?