Rewiring a Classic Mustang

Alternative Fusebox Mounting Locations - For folks stuck with In-Dash A/C

As you all know I ran into some issue mounting the fusebox because of interference with the in-dash A/C blower motor. I spent the day trying to solve this in the easiest possible way. Turns out it wasn't too bad. So you lucky dogs, you get tips on two fusebox locations!

After spending an hour or so screwing around under the dash I emerged back broken but with a solution that appeared like it would work. But first off if you don't have one of these tools

31Olvv-CX6L.jpg

Get one! (A tip from a fellow 67 owner on VMF) They make drilling holes or any other drill function so much easier in tight spaces, like under the dash. I grabbed mine from Lowe's for $20. Also a standard, small, right angle driver would be very nice too.

I chose to shove the fusebox as far left as I could manage. So basically as close to the pedal support assembly as I felt comfortable with. I've circled the locations of the mounting holes in the next picture.

DSC_0518-1.jpg

At the top right I have a green "X" circled. Now the only issue with this spot is that the firewall is not 'flat' there. So the green "X" is sitting further back than the hole near the steering column. I decided to make a cheap shim out of wood. Of course you could do this step much classier than me, like using a nylon spacer or something. I chose to do it this way because it would be quick and I couldn't find a #12 sheet metal screw long enough, locally anyway.

So above and below that green "X" I drilled two holes with my nifty new drill attachment for the wooden block. Just used a piece of 2x4 I had laying around, the offset was about right.

DSC_0515.jpg

DSC_0519.jpg

DSC_0520.jpg

DSC_0521.jpg

DSC_0526-1.jpg

I mounted it in it's spot, what do you know it fit the first time! Not bad for eye-balling more or less

DSC_0522.jpg

DSC_0523.jpg

DSC_0524.jpg

You'll notice it's not sitting flat. I took it off and trimmed a corner of it (not pictured)

Here is the fuse box mounted on the bottom screw. I haven't yet secured the top screw to make fooling with the wires easier.

I did this all with the blower motor in it's housing. It would have been easier if I had removed it but it would have been difficult to put it back in with the fusebox in place. If by chance you are considering doing what I am on in-dash A/C car, remember to leave some slack near the fusebox because if and when you have to remove the blower motor you'll have to unmount the fusebox and rotate it out of the way.

When I did this I already had the bulk of the circuits routed in roughly their locations. As I mentioned in one my first posts it will be easier if you route the wires before you mount the fusebox but you can at least drill the holes you need and test fit it before getting too far into things.

My next post will be where to route all these damn wires!
I can’t find your continuing posts for the work after this, where may I find it? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)