Rim/tire advice for max steering angle/Budget build thread

E3F

Nov 27, 2011
First post here. wonderful forum, great advice ive been reading.

Quick background:
91' notch, 85' 5.0 motor. Not a daily. No worries.

Right now I have a five lug swap (not put in yet because i dont have five lug rims) using 88' ranger axles (driver's side) and 99' front spindles with 01' mach 1 lca's and a stock k member. Still need sn95 tie rods.

Im going to weld the spindles in 1/2"-3/4" and cut and gusset the lca's to accommodate the rims/tires at full lock along with the steering knuckle. May even lengthen them if necessary. I have a career welder friend who will weld the crucial things.

The plan:
I hear in order to get the most angle, get rims with low backspacing. To do this, diamond racing rims (or other custom ones if you have ideas) are in order. Spacers scare me. Seen wheels fall off.

I dont care about cutting out the fenders or wheels sticking out. The back is all a bondo'd mess anyways.

So how bout 16x8 in the front with 1-2" backspace (this will stick out big time with the 96+ spindles AND sn95 lca's). I read the spindles add 1" on both sides and the lca's add 1.25".

Out back, 16x10 also 1" backspace. I know this is pretty extreme, but driving a car that looks like it's remote controlled might be worth the steering angle gained.

Let me know your thoughts and suggestions. Pics of progress soon.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm aware of the tubular aftermarket ones but I already have all the parts I need besides tires. I guess my question is would the front stick out more than the back or vice versa?

Wow I didn't know you could do this. How involved is it?

Takes 5 minutes and a screw driver.

Back to tire/wheel issue here; If I run a super low backspace (thus very negative offset) wheel up front will i scrub the front of the door? (i know the bumper side can be cut out.)