• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Rod/Main bearings...help!

  • Thread starter Thread starter American_Muscle
  • Start date Start date Apr 4, 2007
A

American_Muscle

New Member
May 9, 2005
189
0
0
Apr 4, 2007
#1
  • Apr 4, 2007
  • #1
Hey guys,

Turns out either my rod or crank bearings could be toast.

I get this very loud ticking sound coming from my block/tranny.
At first I thought it was the tranny for sure.
Well after I swapped the tranny today and made sure the exhaust was tight I still get the noise.
Tomorrow I'll drop the oill pan and see what's up.
Some guy at the garage told me I need to tilt the engine to get the oil pan off(?).
To check the bearings I just need to drain the oil and undo the bolts holding on the oil pan right?

Can rod/main bearings be swapped out when the engine is still in the car?

The guy said technically main bearings COULD be done if you undo the caps and the crank will drop a bit. MAYBE you could do it but he said he's never tried it.

Thanks guys.

Sorry for the stupid questions..I'm still learning. (but willing to learn)

Patrick
 

smokin00GT

New Member
Mar 22, 2007
80
0
0
United States
Apr 4, 2007
#2
  • Apr 4, 2007
  • #2
That's what happened to my mustang with 73,000 miles.....hate to say it, but I don't see how you can change those without pulling the motor. I drove the car with the tapping for about a summer until the tapping got so loud I couldn't take it anymore. I bought a new forged long block. What year is the car, and are you using any power adders? What were you doing when the car started to tick?
 
A

American_Muscle

New Member
May 9, 2005
189
0
0
Apr 4, 2007
#3
  • Apr 4, 2007
  • #3
Damn.

I can't even change the rod bearings with the engine still in?

I'm hoping it might just be a main cap that's a bit loose. But the way my luck has been I doubt it.

The car has a Vortech SC at about 8 pounds of boost.

It dynoed at about 415 at the flywheel.
I think the car was beat on before I got it.

Also, do tie rods start leaking at 65k miles?
That seems a bit early but I noticed mine are almost dripping!
 

smokin00GT

New Member
Mar 22, 2007
80
0
0
United States
Apr 4, 2007
#4
  • Apr 4, 2007
  • #4
I added a novi 2000 with 8# of boost at 70,000 miles, and dynoed at 380 on stock block. It was too much for the tired motor and tick tick tick.......
 
A

American_Muscle

New Member
May 9, 2005
189
0
0
Apr 4, 2007
#5
  • Apr 4, 2007
  • #5
Did it make the ticking sound even at idle?
 

smokin00GT

New Member
Mar 22, 2007
80
0
0
United States
Apr 4, 2007
#6
  • Apr 4, 2007
  • #6
yep, got faster with acceleration.
 
A

American_Muscle

New Member
May 9, 2005
189
0
0
Apr 4, 2007
#7
  • Apr 4, 2007
  • #7
Damn...that's it then.


Well, I'm stationed in Germany so getting an engine is not that easy.
I did find an 03 shortblock.

Swapping everything over to the shortblock would probably be easier than having the crank taken to get a regrind etc.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Engine Looking for suggestions and or ideas
  • PonyGTrider
  • Aug 25, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
484
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 7, 2026
PonyGTrider
R
Efi to car pcv HELP !
  • rgrendell
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
23
Views
488
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 2, 2026
Noobz347
B
97 GT with 03 explorer Eddie Bauer edition 4.6l
  • basbill73
  • May 10, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
111
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- May 11, 2026
squeak93
J
Engine Coolant leak from oil filter
  • jr273
  • Mar 26, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
9
Views
333
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Mar 31, 2026
squeak93
S
Drivetrain 8.8 Pinion and 302 rear main seal leaks after replacing. 93 5.0 with t-5
  • Steigy4827
  • Jun 23, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
10
Views
777
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Apr 1, 2026
Steigy4827
S
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?