RPM Stuck at 3000-4000 @60mph Help?

Rei_h

Nov 8, 2010
I bought a 2006 Mustang GT Conv Automatic trans about a month ago. It came with a dead battery. It had some rough time previously, but it all seemed to solve itself after a while after the new battery settled in.

I took the car to the dealer but the problem is so intermittent that they couldn't duplicate the issue except for one time, then they took it to a Ford dealer to take a look, but they couldn't duplicate it, so nothing has been done.

It would be running perfectly fine one day, then next morning (this morning), it starts like it normally does, then when I start to drive faster, the RPM would get stuck at a very high rate even after I let go of the gas pedal. Not to mention, it drains the gas mileage when it does because it's acting like I'm never letting my foot off the gas pedal. When that happens, I have to accelerate more often because even at the high RMP, the car would slow down easily.

I'm not sure how else to explain this problem. I've driven enough in my life to know that this isn't normal.

Not sure if it's related to the issue, but when this happens, there's a real weird humming sound.

Could this be a transmission or fuel injection issue? It's acting like it's just isn't down shifting right. And it only has happened 3 times in a month, but it is enough to worry me that something critical is wrong.

I have an extended warranty but found most things are not covered.. transmission for example ':)(

• Sponsors (?)