Runs better when just started and engine cold

Is it normal for my car to run alot stronger when its cold and newly started in the morning? When i get up in the morning i and drive to school i usually take it easy untill its warmed up but a few days ago i really went on it untill 60mph and it seemed ALOT more powerful than what it usually is, is that common? and if it isnt do you guys know y it does that or what could cause that?

• Sponsors (?)

yes its very normal. In fact thats why you will see guys at the track push the car thru the staging lanes to let the motor cool down.

Not really after warming it up and driving it for about a mile everything is well lubricated,motor,tranny and rear.So you can beat the h@ll out of it :nice:[/QUOTE]

thats true but dont just start it up, up pull outta the driveway and hall balls. make sure its somewhere close to operating temperature.

90pony302 said:
Not really after warming it up and driving it for about a mile everything is well lubricated,motor,tranny and rear.So you can beat the h@ll out of it :nice:

thats true but dont just start it up, up pull outta the driveway and hall balls. make sure its somewhere close to operating temperature.[/QUOTE]
Nahh,it doesnt have to be operating temp.Then its all heated up and you lose the cold engine effect.You just wanna make sure its been running for 2-3 minutes,and everything is well lubricated.Look at guys who drag race.Its only running while in the staging area,after they move up they shut it off to keep it cool.

This all really depends on how hot it is outside. If its 70* outside and you start you car up and let it idle for 5 minutes the temps will probably around 120ish which is a safe temp to romp on the car a bit. But if you start the car up in 20* weather and let it idle for the same amount of time, it will still be too cold to drive without doing long term harm to the engine. For me, I don't get on my car until my autometer water temp gauge starts moving which is around 100*. I think that any temps below that is just too low for the oil and the internals to be warmed enough. just my $.02