Rusted out trunk floor.

• Sponsors (?)

I am interested in hearing peoples opinions on this job as well so I am going to bump it up. It seems with all the repairs on the floorpans, cowl, etc. discussed in here that there has to be a problem with the trunk area. Is it a job better left to professionals?

I'm going to be doing mine in the spring. Pretty much all of the mustang parts suppliers have replacement panels.

Fritz did his a couple years ago and had a bunch of pics. The tread is gone now, but I think he still has the pics.

-Chelle

t_chelle16 said:
I'm going to be doing mine in the spring. Pretty much all of the mustang parts suppliers have replacement panels.

Fritz did his a couple years ago and had a bunch of pics. The tread is gone now, but I think he still has the pics.

-Chelle

Let us know how those go, I would really like to see a how to project. Mine have a little cancer along where the inner and outer wheelhouse come together and where they meet the floor. Since the paint on the car is really good I am not going to repair that until I repaint. By the way you have been kickin a$$ on your rust repair projects, I think a new nickname should be in order. Maybe the "Mistress of Malignant Metal." I like that, I am going to pat my self on the back. :p

stephen4785 said:
I need to replace the trunk floor and wanted to know if any had done this before and where they got there panels.

I did my drivers side as well as the strip across the back, between the gas tank and the tail light panel. All I can say is it was a bit@h to get the old pieces out. I resorted to cutting strips out and wrangling them apart with vice grips. Once all the old metal was out, I cleaned everything up with a grinder.

Especially difficult are the bumper brackets because there is very little room to work. You just can't get anything into the corner except a deburring tip on the die grinder.

Putting the new metal back in was a breeze compared to ripout. I got the new sheet metal from NPD, I believe it is all made by American Designers anyway, unless you get the cheap Taiwan stuff.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of this phase (I was more interested in finishing at that point), so I can't help you there.

Frank

t_chelle16 said:

-Chelle

First, let me say.....Chelle I LIKE your "New Year's Babe" avatar! :D

Now onto the topic of trunk floor repair......when I did the "original" resto 20 years ago, I paid a professional to replace my rear frame sections, trunk floors/drop offs and the lower brace (?) to the rear panel.

Two summers/falls ago I re-did rear frame section, trunk floor drop off and patched the trunk floor on the driver's side. I still have to tackle the trunk floor drop off on the pass. side, the frame and trunk floor on that side are still good.

Yes, Chelle, I still have the pics I posted, but I'm not sure where in this mess that I call my office they are. If/when I find them I'll post 'em again. :nice: