Safe Way To Disable Ignition

tderrick

Oct 27, 2004
It's almost time to crank up the GT after a long suspension / steering break... 2 months.

Is it still safe to pull the coil wire to the distro to get some cranking going without
starting her up?

I would feel better with the oil pump a little primed before start-up.
Also, I need to bleed out the new PS rack.

tia

• Sponsors (?)

I understand it's better to pull the dizzy and use a drill in reverse to spin the oil pump shaft. The idea is to get oil flowing BEFORE you turn the engine over. It doesn't really matter much if the engine is turning without firing or it's running.

Above is correct - nothing beats priming the system without turning the engine over.

Two months isnt that long however. For turning it over w/o it catching, I'd disconnect the electrical connector to the coil. That way you dont have a coil energizing and not sparking.

You could also pull your oil filter and top it off (note that you'll be overfilled by a little, which is something I don't generally worry about).

Well, pullin' the distro ain't gonna happen... :D I'm too dang worn out putting this
thing back together for the last 3 days...

I was thinking that the modern electronics might be a little sensitive to such an old
trick...

I'll pull the multi-pin going to the coil...

I would just fire it up, I just started mine up after sitting for around 2 months. No problems at all, I just let it idle for awhile and took it for a good 45min drive(had to recharge the battery) lol