Engine Saleen intake removal

Jeffbwa83

Sep 10, 2021
Hello! Im in the middle of getting my 90 GT running again and need to replace the injectors. The car has a Saleen intake. I'm having a tough time removing the middle nut under the drivers side of the intake. I've tried modifying a wrench to reach, but the turbo and the dipstick are in the way. Any tips and tricks are appreciated. Here is a photo of the engine compartment for reference.

Attachments

• PXL_20210205_233720468.jpg
    PXL_20210205_233720468.jpg
    720.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Sponsors (?)

LoL I thought this was a Kenne Bell Only Issue. :D

I think I may have a solution for you:

Find a box end wrench that fits the nut (preferably a Chinese throw-away)
Cut it so that the end is 1/4" in shorter than the room you have under the intake to turn the wrench
Drill a hole in the cut end and affix a hacksaw blade and handle to it

Pull hard lefty loosie :O_o:

Lots of Liquid Wrench. This assumes that you have no more room than I did to fit any of those 'fancy' wrenches in there.

Reactions: 1 user
LoL I thought this was a Kenne Bell Only Issue. :D

I think I may have a solution for you:

Find a box end wrench that fits the nut (preferably a Chinese throw-away)
Cut it so that the end is 1/4" in shorter than the room you have under the intake to turn the wrench
Drill a hole in the cut end and affix a hacksaw blade and handle to it

Pull hard lefty loosie :O_o:

Lots of Liquid Wrench. This assumes that you have no more room than I did to fit any of those 'fancy' wrenches in there.
Thanks! I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Appears to be a Dixon intake.
Probably the most desirable version and considering they only made about 70 of them, you might be able to get one of the saleen guys to pay enough to buy yourself another engine.
It's a cool intake, but you can buy others that work as well. With no firewall tag present too, i'll guess this car is not a saleen. Personally, i'd cash in on it and not worry about how to get it back on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Appears to be a Dixon intake.
Probably the most desirable version and considering they only made about 70 of them, you might be able to get one of the saleen guys to pay enough to buy yourself another engine.
It's a cool intake, but you can buy others that work as well. With no firewall tag present to, i'll guess this car is not a saleen. Personally, i'd cash in on it and not worry about how to get it back on.
No its not a real saleen. Just a gt with a few saleen goodies bolted on.

Well I broke down and took it to a shop and had them deal with it. Just got it back with new injectors, a couple of heater hoses, and a crossover tube. Sometimes its not worth the headache. The car fires right up.Thanks everyone for their input! I appreciate it! Id post a video of it running but the file is too big.

Upload video to YouTube then share it here. It's the only way I know to put up a video here. On YT there is an icon that says share. Click that and copy to clip board. Then come here and paste it in a post comment box. Took me a long time to figure it out.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user