Saleen Rear Bumper---Price Vs. Quality.

94GTLaserRC

Squint as you approach, lest you be blinded by my
15 Year Member
Was looking into getting the Saleen Rear Bumper ONLY for next spring when I repaint the car. Ive seen them at MR Body Kit for just over $200 and as much as $499 other places...both for Urethane. Does anyone have any feedback on differences in the possible quality, OR a good place to buy where you might know for sure that the quality is good?

Thanks
RC

• Sponsors (?)

I think mine is from Mr. body kit, also try abc exclusive. If you want the authentic stuff, check Saleen, but it will cost you about 2 to 3 times more. I remember I got my old Authentic Saleen kit for about $850.

ABC wants $289 for they call a SLN 800 Rear (Saleen Imitation?)

Haney has the real ones for $459 plus shipping. Both kinda pricey if you consider shipping charges.

Thanks
RC

Quality coast $$. If you want cheap, then I wouldn't complain when your body guy charges you an arm and a leg for prep. Either way your gonna pay.

I got mine from Saleen for $383, it is great quality however there was a ton of prep work since they dont prep them at all.

2 questions regarding your statement:

1. if there was a lot of prep work from a "Saleen" bumper, then can their possibly be a "better" one?

2. What is involved in prep besides the adhesion promoter, flex agent, etc? There shouldnt be any thing else to do on those should there?

RC

I have authentic saleen rear bumper from saleen. I personally picked it up from saleen. Fits like crap. You will need to transfer the bracket and put rivets back in with careful measurements. otherwise it will bot fit right. You will need to put some rivets also under the tail lights. so bumper don't fly off. Bottom piece need to be "Wire TIED" WTF. I know. but i like the look of it but Pain in the butt to install and prep. don't even start with the front bumper! Nightmare to line that sucker up. You will need the screen so the "Mouth" part do not wrap over time from sunny california or arizona heat. Side skirts were ok. it was easy.
I had to paint and prep my kit twice. because urethene is hard to prep.

People say get "Authentic saleen bumper so it fits perfect" BUT IT DIDN'T!

Go for cheaper ones that aftermarket sell they are the same exact thing and save yourself a headache with crazy prep time. I suggest you prep it yourself.

If i were you i get roush full kit. That's the way i am going for the 96 i have. they are add ons and comes clean. My 95 already have saleen kit so i am not changing it again.

If it was me: My first choice ROUSH kit(whole kit is about the same price as saleen rear bumper)

Second choice: Cervinis stalker kit.

Third choice: Cobra kit.

That's it. Saleen kit sucks, i hate it. good luck :)

Two things Hollywood:

1. You dont mention which pins those are or where you got them (I would like stainless or chrome though)

2. Im guessing as long as the Saleen is Urethane, then I may as well go cheaper. I have a good paint/body shop Im going to use. I did NOT want a FULL kit of anything, after all the problems I had with the XENON. I didnt even really want the Saleen rear, but it looks SO NICE on the back with the 281 and the black light bezels. Thanks for your input on this one!
RC

Too bad someone hasn't used a cheaper urethane version that has fit right.

I would definitely get the Saleen "style" like you want. The rest of the styles out there either look like they are a tacked on after thought or they just look plain funky IMO!

With the tail light covers and the wing you will have the best looking for the 94-98 body.

Two things Hollywood:

1. You dont mention which pins those are or where you got them (I would like stainless or chrome though)

2. Im guessing as long as the Saleen is Urethane, then I may as well go cheaper. I have a good paint/body shop Im going to use. I did NOT want a FULL kit of anything, after all the problems I had with the XENON. I didnt even really want the Saleen rear, but it looks SO NICE on the back with the 281 and the black light bezels. Thanks for your input on this one!
RC

those hood pins are stainless steel and what are you doing just the rear bumper? what other kit are you gonna use in the front??? it will look odd by itself.

those hood pins are stainless steel and what are you doing just the rear bumper? what other kit are you gonna use in the front??? it will look odd by itself.

I put a post previously asking if it would look funny with just the rear if it is the SALEEN> the concensus was it would/should look fine. Since the rear is a full bumper, and not an "attachment" the bumper will be positioned properly....not hanging low.... I dont think it will look odd. My front will have the CObra R hood and a Mach 1 Chin spoiler. IM through with low hanging attachment POS's.

RC

The Saleen bumpers fit great, "If you know how to fit them properly" I had mine put on by my friend Steve, he worked at Saleen at the time so he knew how to fit it properly. I have seen a few other try to put them on and they dont look right at all. At first I tried to put it on myself, and for the life of me could not get it to fit correctly. My friend warned me about it, he was my roomate at the time and just watched me fumble with it for about an hour before just telling me to stop. (im stubborn I had to try to prove him wrong about making it fit.).
Prep was a b*tch, the sanding alone took me forever, then getting it painted was a chore (the paint code on my car is not the correct color of white) the paint did not match at all. so it was a process getting it color matched. You would not believe how hard it is to match WHITE. There were injection spots all over it. All in all it looks good, it fits well, but there are better or I should say easier bumpers to deal with.

2 questions regarding your statement:

1. if there was a lot of prep work from a "Saleen" bumper, then can their possibly be a "better" one?

2. What is involved in prep besides the adhesion promoter, flex agent, etc? There shouldnt be any thing else to do on those should there?

RC

The Saleen bumpers fit great, "If you know how to fit them properly" I had mine put on by my friend Steve, he worked at Saleen at the time so he knew how to fit it properly. I have seen a few other try to put them on and they dont look right at all. At first I tried to put it on myself, and for the life of me could not get it to fit correctly. My friend warned me about it, he was my roomate at the time and just watched me fumble with it for about an hour before just telling me to stop. (im stubborn I had to try to prove him wrong about making it fit.).
Prep was a b*tch, the sanding alone took me forever, then getting it painted was a chore (the paint code on my car is not the correct color of white) the paint did not match at all. so it was a process getting it color matched. You would not believe how hard it is to match WHITE. There were injection spots all over it. All in all it looks good, it fits well, but there are better or I should say easier bumpers to deal with.

I am NOT painting it separately...will be done when the car is painted...all together. Hopefully the paint wont be an issue. My painter is a friend from church who has been painting cars since about 1983. I trust him with the work.

Thanks
RC

I put a post previously asking if it would look funny with just the rear if it is the SALEEN> the concensus was it would/should look fine. Since the rear is a full bumper, and not an "attachment" the bumper will be positioned properly....not hanging low.... I dont think it will look odd. My front will have the CObra R hood and a Mach 1 Chin spoiler. IM through with low hanging attachment POS's.

RC

OMG! i was going to do that too...The rear bumper line and rear screen holes in saleen bumper makes it stand out. even if you add the front lip the rear is wild and front will be mild. but i think you will find some way to make us say "WOW" Mr. king of bling