Saleen Wing Question

G00nies

Nov 7, 2014
Allright, so various Saleen STYLE wings available for various prices. Is there a aesthetic difference or just cost difference? Quality?
I know that I want the 3rd brake light in the wing, but thats' about it.

• Sponsors (?)

Most are just copies of the 87-89 and 92-93 Saleen wing. The 90-91 used a double stack wing.

The only mimic style wing I am aware of was the Dugan whale tail and that hasn't been made in quite some time.

The one I ran years ago was a fiberglass wing made by ABC exclusive. Quality was great and it lasted 15 years or so until something fell on the wing shattering it. I wanted to go back to the LX wing anyway

Thanks, just that some of the pics on the internet have them looking a bit different depending on who the MFR is, but I suppose that might just be the picture?
Essentially the single wing should be identical regardless of MFR?

Correct. They all pretty much copy the Saleen wing, but aren't allowed to say that directly. Just need to make sure you get a hatch wing that has the 87-93 GT brake light provision in it.

I don't know if you live in a cold region, but if you do, make sure you take the ice out of it before you drive.

There are a lot of stories about people pulling off on a winter morning and having a sheet of ice smash their rear window as soon as they hit the brake. Those wings hold water because of the way they're designed.

I've owned a few over the years. The difference comes in the thickness of the angles. Some of them look bulkier than others. I don't remember the differences between brands, but there is a difference in the look of them.

I gave the last two away. I kinda out grew that look.

There are a lot of stories about people pulling off on a winter morning and having a sheet of ice smash their rear window as soon as they hit the brake. Those wings hold water because of the way they're designed.

True story. Waaaaay back when I actually drove my car every day as a DD, my driveway was a slight angle. If it rained, and then froze, there was a sheet of ice in the spoiler. I used to have to remember to lift it out and toss it to the side before driving the car because if I didn't, it would crash into the hatch when I braked.

Saleen wings look dated to me. These days, lip spoilers are the new trend vs giant wings. The LX wing is as close as you'll get to that, so even if my wing wasn't smashed up while stored, I would have removed it anyway to put the stock LX wing back on.

Saleen wing is one of the "wish I never did it" sort of mods.

Reactions: 1 user
True story. Waaaaay back when I actually drove my car every day as a DD, my driveway was a slight angle. If it rained, and then froze, there was a sheet of ice in the spoiler. I used to have to remember to lift it out and toss it to the side before driving the car because if I didn't, it would crash into the hatch when I braked.

Saleen wings look dated to me. These days, lip spoilers are the new trend vs giant wings. The LX wing is as close as you'll get to that, so even if my wing wasn't smashed up while stored, I would have removed it anyway to put the stock LX wing back on.

Saleen wing is one of the "wish I never did it" sort of mods.

I respect that; been there. So...if I do go this way, will I have to "drill" into the deck lid?

I respect that; been there. So...if I do go this way, will I have to "drill" into the deck lid?

Depends. Do you have a GT or LX?

Most of the Saleen wings will bolt onto a GT without mods. Just need paint on the wing. Your third brake light and wiring harness will transfer over. It's pretty much a bolt on once you paint the spoiler.

On an LX (like mine is) you need to fill about 14 holes and then repaint the hatch and then drill all new holes to mount the wing. You'll also need to pick up an 87-93 GT third brake light and wiring harness. Little bit bigger project.

I run a hardcore Steeda wing. It is designed to serve a specific purpose. Theoretically, at 160mph, it keeps the tail down to maintain stability. In real life, at 60mph, it starts sucking all the dirt off the road, and attaching it to the back of your car.

Kurt

Reactions: 2 users
I’ve always liked the look of the Saleen wing paired with the cobra bumper cover. I won’t have to worry about sheets of ice collecting so I’m still leaning toward that direction for mine when it’s time for body work.

I’ve always liked the look of the Saleen wing paired with the cobra bumper cover. I won’t have to worry about sheets of ice collecting so I’m still leaning toward that direction for mine when it’s time for body work.
Have always wanted one, and will prolly do it, especially since i wont have to Drill/Fill deck lid holes. If I dont like it, I'll sell it
Im running 7x10.5 Saleen SC's in the rear with lowering springs, I feel that this will complete the look Im going for/