San Antonio Texas questions

Dorsai

Aug 13, 2005
Connecticut
I'm thinking of going after a job in San Antonio and I was wondering if anyone who lives there would be willing to share their impression of the area, the weather, the people. I'm not a city dweller so I would be looking for a home a minimum of 30 minutes outside the city's downtown area. If anyone could share info on nice area's to live in the area (meaning low if any crime and great school's for the kids) I'd be thankful. I'm looking for a 4 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage home with a minimum of 2 acers of land. I'm not opposed to a gated community if it's available. Thanks for any help you can give.

• Sponsors (?)

San Antonio is surrounded by some of the most scenic acreage in Texas, as it's located in the Hill Country. :D San Antonio is one of my favorite places in the world. I'm hoping my husband is able to move us there after we're finished in Nebraska.

Weather...humid and hot. Depends on how hot you like it. I love it. Might take a Conneticut boy a while to get used to the weather. ;) Maybe take the family on a vacation there in July or August, see if it's to your liking.

People...friendly enough. A very multicultural blend.

The city does a big tourism trade, with the Alamo and the Riverwalk.

Best thing you can do is contact a few real estate agencies down there and ask exactly what you're asking here. They'll be able to answer all your questions, re: housing, property, crime, demographics, etc.

Or you can look here: http://www.sanantonio.gov/

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. As far as being a CT boy I was born and raised in South Carolina and I have worked outside for the majority of my life so weather is not an issue for me. I would actually like to get away from snow if possible so it's sounds like San Antonio might be a good move (if you've never been here CT is very humid in the summer). My wife is from Houston so she's ok with the idea of moving south, the cold and the snow are not doing anything for her either. Thanks again.

It once went down to 20 here in San Antonio for a whole week (1989 I believe).

Freeways froze 2 weeks ago, 700 wrecks in the city. Nobody here has any experience with freezing weather, however, we do know how to get out of the 100 degree heat. Just jump in to the Guadalupe river with a tube and a cooler full of cold ones!

See ya in 2-3 hours downstream :nice: :nice: :nice:

67FBack said:
It once went down to 20 here in San Antonio for a whole week (1989 I believe).

Freeways froze 2 weeks ago, 700 wrecks in the city. Nobody here has any experience with freezing weather, however, we do know how to get out of the 100 degree heat. Just jump in to the Guadalupe river with a tube and a cooler full of cold ones!

See ya in 2-3 hours downstream :nice: :nice: :nice:

Oh, gods, this thread is making me homesick! 'Specially the tubing bit. :cheers:

I absolutely love San Antonio. It's a big city with a small city atmosphere. The cost of living here, in my opinion, is extremely cheap which is an added bonus. Lots to do, great food, and very nice people. San Antonio is the next best thing to Southern California (again IMO) :) Good luck with your decision. :)

I grew up in San Antonio and am now in Arkansas.:( However, I applied for a job there and should hear back from the Company any time now.

Where are you looking at working? There is plenty of land down there, the problem is that most of the 'city' is surrounded by suburbia and you won't find many 2+ acre lots for a reasonable price @ about 30 min from downtown. Unless you went south of downtown, Then you are getting into areas where the schools aren't that great.

I'm looking for a house in the north to northeast side of town.

What do you call reasonable ? Do you have any idea of what a 2 acre property with a 4 bedroom home is running in the better parts of San Antonio ? I can look online at hundreds of homes, census data, etcetera, but I was hoping for some advice from folks who live there on the best areas to live if money is not a concern (to a point of course)....

Well, I would say that the better parts of San Antonio are the north to Northeast. Alamo Heights and the Almos Basin Area (make sure you get on the high ground around the basin) are really good areas with good schools. Of course I am biased since I grew up there. I don't remember seeing too many 2 acre lots, though. For the 2+ acres, you'd be better off with some property out 281 North close to 1604.
If commute times are important to you, I would pick a place reasonably close to work as traffic and construction can be a pain.

GT4Her, her hubby, and I both live in SA. I have to agree with her, the cost of living here is cheap compared to anywhere else. The southside of SA is starting to boom now, because of the Toyota plant that's gonna open up. But I think the NC and NE side of SA are the ideal places to build a house at. If ya do move down here check us out at www.unitedstang.com for all our local events.:nice:

Check around the Schertz and cibolo area (I live in Schertz) These two towns are on the north side of the City, they're outside of the S.A. city limits so the property tax is a lot lower, There's plenty of land up here that is not sub divisions, crime is super low and the schools are good, the beauty of it is we are close to I 35 so you can get to anywhere down town in about 15-20 minutes, as far as prices of property goes it depends on many factors, is it an older home, is it new, etc. to give you an idea, I looked at some 4 bed rooms when I was looking for my house, a house done by one of the better builders ( I'm talking top flight materials, decorative doors, hot tub in the bathroom type deal) in one of the new sub divisions, at about 2,500 sq.ft. was going for around 150,000. That was two years ago so you better check with a realtor to see what's the deal now. As far as San Antonio goes, I absolutely love it, great city, good people, the weather is fantastic!
Like somebody said already, loose the coats!

150 ? that's all ? wow it is cheap there. My house is a 4 bedroom 2 bath 2 car garage type on about 1 acre...cost me almost 300 here in CT and trust me when I say mine was cheap compared to most around here....

A lot cheaper down here, I checked out this new sub division near my house, those $300,000 would buy you a four bdr. 4,000 sqr.ft. custom built home, and I mean custom built! 3 bathrooms, a hot tub that would fit about four people in the master bath, and a 4 car garage; did I mention the garage is air conditioned.