Insurance question (DUI related).. need advice

SadbutTrue

Founding Member
May 1, 2002
Granada Hills, California
Probably will get some (and deserve some) flack over this, but I need all the advice/wisdom I can get.

As a few people on here know, I got a DUI in November. .09 BAC... circumstances kinda suck but all that really matters is I made a mistake and have to pay the man (a lot). The thing I'm most worried about (and I would think, have the most control over), is my insurance.

I'm a 24 year old male, no accidents and 1 ticket besides the DUI on my record. Currently have 3 vehicles... my 66' and the 89 Seville are insured through 21st Century, and my 05' SV650s is insured through Markel motorcycle insurance. I live in California (thousand oaks, I work in the san fernando valley).

At this time, my rates have not changed. I was found guilty in the DMV court and my criminal court date is Friday (and I'll be convicted there too). Both policies expire in the september/october time frame, and thats when things get pricey.

Another issue that complicates matters is that I'm planning on moving out of my parents house to a location close to work... ideally close enough I could walk/bicycle/bus there and not drive at all.

So, as I see it, I have 3 options:
1. Just pay up. My current rates are about 70/mo for liability only (all vehicles). I have heard those rates may push 400-500/mo when my rates get changed. I cannot afford that (or I can, I'll just be stuck living at home another year). In addition, if I live at home longer... I'm goign to need a more reliable car (ie newer.. ie more expensive to insure), as my Caddy and Mustang won't cut it. This option is obviously not particularly attractive.

2. Don't bother with insurance, drive as little as possible
If I move to an area close to work, this may be possible. In the areas i would try to move to, I'd have access to everything I need on a day to day basic (work, grocery store, gym, etc) within walking distance. I should be able to park the Mustang, drive the Caddy only when needed, and sell the motorcycle (which I may need to do anyway for the down payment). There are some complications with this, however... (below)

3. Have brother register and insure my cars
I have a very good relationship with my younger brother and he has a pretty clean driving record. He does not live in the same house I do and does not have any major assets (house, pricey car, etc) to lose. Now, if I get into an accident while driving my cars under his name... I'm sure that will be fun. But outside of that, it seems like it might be a way to dodge the bullet legally.

I'm not completely familiar with the insurance laws/requirements in california. I know I need to have an SR-22 (high risk insurance) policy in addition to whatever normal insurance I have for 3 years. Beyond that.. i don't know. Lot of questions... such as...

What happens if I decide to park my cars in the meantime? What issues am I likely to run into if I go uninsured until then? Do I have to sell/give my cars to my brother or can he just insure them on his own? Are classic car insurance policies going to roast me alive like normal insruance policies?

Anyway, anyone with experience with this mess... would love to hear from you. Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

first STOP DRINKING!!!!!!!!

ok now that that is out of the way, start by talking to the prosecutor in your case and see if you can come to some kind of plea agreement since you have no previous DUI's, and a generally good driving record. ask if their is a first time offender program you can get into. if you sweet talk the prosecutor, and can make a deal for a lesser non alcohol offense, you are golden in regards to your insurance. understand that this is a one time deal until the ticket is dropped from your record. and you WILL be bent over by your insurance company so bring your own lube.

I'm assuming you've already been to court since this happened some time ago. I've had a few freinds get DUI's and without exception, even the best lawyer (you did get one, right?) cannot plea bargain a DUI down in California. I also assume that since you likely have been to court, you have already lost your license for the mandatory 6 months, so insurance is the least of your worries, at least for now. If I were you, I'd sell everything but the bare minimum so you only have one vehicle to insure, and simply bite the bullet and pay, after shopping around fo course. I'm not gonna lecture you on the evils of drinking and driving, because although I have never been busted, in my past life, I did it often, but always squeeked by. I don't drink and drive anymore, and hopefully you won't either, so we'll leave it at that. Good luck.

If I was in your shoes, I would sell the bike and the Cadillac. I would let your brother register the Mustang. Then I would buy a late 90's to early 2000's Honda Civic or something to drive everyday and put liability on. I would do that for however long it takes to get things back to semi-normal.

Well, #2 is about as stupid of an idea as driving drunk so scratch that one off.

I would also sell the caddy and bike and if your close enough, ride a bike to work. Also like rbohm stated, talk with the DA and see if something can be worked out to plea to a lesser charge. I know here that rarely happens but ya never know.

first STOP DRINKING!!!!!!!!

ok now that that is out of the way, start by talking to the prosecutor in your case and see if you can come to some kind of plea agreement since you have no previous DUI's, and a generally good driving record. ask if their is a first time offender program you can get into. if you sweet talk the prosecutor, and can make a deal for a lesser non alcohol offense, you are golden in regards to your insurance. understand that this is a one time deal until the ticket is dropped from your record. and you WILL be bent over by your insurance company so bring your own lube.

I've drank about 10 times total since the incident (now nearly 6 months ago), have a breathalyzer and wont be drinking and driving again.

I live in Ventura county, Ca... which is one of the few counties in the country which do not accept plea bargains :( its also one of the most expensive counties as far as fines, fees and penalty assessments go... most socal counties average $1500 total for those, Ventura is closer (and sometimes past) $3000. So I'll be picking up lube on the way to the courthouse :-/

I have not been to court yet, court date is Friday. My lawyer pushed it back a few times (not really asking me if I wanted that... but i didn't exactly tell him not to either). My DMV 'trial' was in february... was convicted and my license is restricted at the moment.

I'll probably end up doing something along the lines of 'sell bike and caddy, get brother to insure mustang, find a beater and deal'.