• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Saving memory when disconnecting battery?

  • Thread starter Thread starter 86GTRag
  • Start date Start date May 12, 2007
8

86GTRag

New Member
Dec 3, 2003
3
0
0
May 12, 2007
#1
  • May 12, 2007
  • #1
I hadn't driven my 86 in about a year. It is still SD. I put a new battery in and have been driving it for a few weeks now and the more I've driven it the better it runs,at idle cruise and WOT. I guess the computers' memory is fine tuning the car as I drive.
Can you connect a 9V battery to the terminals when unhooking the battery to save the computers' memory? I'd hate to have to start all over again and make the car "relearn" everything.
 

stang&2Birds

Founding Member
May 4, 2000
2,091
5
58
New England. :-) CT/MA
May 12, 2007
#2
  • May 12, 2007
  • #2
That should work if you use a NEW 9V battery and do NOT turn the key on.
 

Fett

New Member
Nov 2, 2004
766
6
0
May 12, 2007
#3
  • May 12, 2007
  • #3
I have never tried it, but I don't think it will work. The entire electrical system is based on a 12v charge, I don't think a 9v will do anything. I could be wrong....I just don't see that working. Also, for how long are you talking? If you are talking about just changing a battery, then do it quickly. If you can reconnect power to the electrical system within a matter of seconds, then the memory should stay alive. I know that in the past (different car) I changed the battery out quickly and never experienced the typical "relearing curve" that I would normally get when disconnecting the battery for an extended period of time.
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
May 12, 2007
#4
  • May 12, 2007
  • #4
I used to do it and it worked fine for me. I did this for radio presets (I'm kinda old and it takes me an hour to reprogram what a 5 year old can do in 30 seconds).

For the KAM, the puter's capacitors should stay alive for a bit after you disconnect the battery (if it's going to be a quick disconnect).

Otherwise, I suppose you could use a quick-disconnect terminal. Some allow you to connect a circuit which circumvents the cut-off (for alarms, etc). You could add a power leg to the KAM from here (Leave the OEM wiring intact and simply add an aux power source. I see no issues with doing this. If someone does, speak up).

Good luck.
 

stang&2Birds

Founding Member
May 4, 2000
2,091
5
58
New England. :-) CT/MA
May 13, 2007
#5
  • May 13, 2007
  • #5
Fett said:
I have never tried it, but I don't think it will work. The entire electrical system is based on a 12v charge, I don't think a 9v will do anything. I could be wrong....I just don't see that working. Also, for how long are you talking? If you are talking about just changing a battery, then do it quickly. If you can reconnect power to the electrical system within a matter of seconds, then the memory should stay alive. I know that in the past (different car) I changed the battery out quickly and never experienced the typical "relearing curve" that I would normally get when disconnecting the battery for an extended period of time.
Click to expand...
It works because the EEC and most Radios use 5V internally. All they need is ~9V to power the *non volatile memory* (KAM in the EEC).
 

BigDanTheMan

Member
Aug 16, 2005
63
1
6
San Francisco, CA
May 13, 2007
#6
  • May 13, 2007
  • #6
it takes a good 10 minutes at least for the memory to clear. i don't know much about speed density, but mt beat up pony with MAF goes from stalling once after re-connecting the battery to running like a champ within two minutes.

the poor performance you might have been experiencing after firing up your pony for the first time in a year might been more related to it sitting for a year than the EEC.
 

TomCat

New Member
Apr 19, 2005
412
0
0
Utah
May 13, 2007
#7
  • May 13, 2007
  • #7
http://www.easycarcovers.com/Computer-Memory-Saver.html
We used to sell a similar product at CSK, but I think it's been pulled from the shelves. Makes it nice and clean, though.
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
May 13, 2007
#8
  • May 13, 2007
  • #8
Tomcat's version look like what I use (I just made mine from 2 bucks worth of parts though. It's not as pretty but works fine).

I had to make a similar rig to power up my MAFtuner when uploading files (while at my PC). I think that one cost me 3 bucks because I needed a pair of goofy terminals.

Just alternatives if folks are poor like me.
 

vristang

15 Year Member
Mar 31, 2005
4,933
101
124
Seattle
May 13, 2007
#9
  • May 13, 2007
  • #9
TomCat said:
http://www.easycarcovers.com/Computer-Memory-Saver.html
Click to expand...
That is sweet

With all the times I work on my car, I will be making something like this fairly soon...


:Word:
 

Fett

New Member
Nov 2, 2004
766
6
0
May 13, 2007
#10
  • May 13, 2007
  • #10
Interesting, I didn't think a 9v would work. I have a Tweecer and don't have to worry about it....but I have a friend who just got his car running again and needs to relocate his battery, so I will pass this info along.b
 

Fett

New Member
Nov 2, 2004
766
6
0
May 13, 2007
#11
  • May 13, 2007
  • #11
Actually, this brings up a question. I mentioned I have a Tweecer and don't have this problem. Since I put my Tweecer in, I have been able to remove my battery for hours and never had any issues. The more I think about it, I don't remember having to re-load my tune back into the Tweecer after the battery disconnect....but I might have.

Can the Tweecer hold it's tune with the battery disconnected? The last time I had my battery out, it was out pretty much the whole day. I reconnected it and the car idled and ran perfectly. Like I said, I don't remember having to reload my tune, I think it was still loaded in the Tweecer.
 

vristang

15 Year Member
Mar 31, 2005
4,933
101
124
Seattle
May 13, 2007
#12
  • May 13, 2007
  • #12
Fett said:
Can the Tweecer hold it's tune with the battery disconnected? The last time I had my battery out, it was out pretty much the whole day. I reconnected it and the car idled and ran perfectly. Like I said, I don't remember having to reload my tune, I think it was still loaded in the Tweecer.
Click to expand...

The .bin or .ccf file is in the tweecer J3 module. This file is not lost, and you can pull the tweecer from the ecu for months and it will still be there.

If your tune has been dialed in well enough so that your KAMRF's don't reflect any change (close to 1.00), then you wouldn't see much difference by disconnecting the battery and losing the KAM.

In my datalogging the soonest I saw any adjustment of the KAMRF's was about 5 to 10 minutes of driving.
This is using the stock X3Z Adaptive Table. With some modification of the table I was able to get the adaptive to be nearly complete in 20 minutes. (this was with an injector issue and a C&L MAF, both of which preventing any accuracy in my tune)

No way the adaptive is complete in 2 minutes. I would say there is a cold start issue there. Might be worth looking into?



jason
 

Fett

New Member
Nov 2, 2004
766
6
0
May 13, 2007
#13
  • May 13, 2007
  • #13
I don't have all that "aggressive" of a tune, just basics. But prior to the Tweecer if I disconnected the battery for an extended period of time, I would get the typical issues. Wouldn't idle smoothly, surged, and chugged while driving in low RPMs. That would last for a day or so then begin to smooth out. Since the Tweecer install, after reinstalling the battery, the car would start up and idle perfectly...just as if I never disconnected the battery. I always just assumed the loaded calibration was enough to circumvent any "learning" issues.
 

vristang

15 Year Member
Mar 31, 2005
4,933
101
124
Seattle
May 13, 2007
#14
  • May 13, 2007
  • #14
It doesn't take a very 'aggressive' tune to get the KAMRF's near 1.00.
MAF Transfer and injector slopes can do a lot...

Odds are, your still utilizing the Adaptive Strategy, but it isn't very noticeable when only minor adaptations/corrections are needed.


jason



Is this a good candidate for the Tech Thread Index?
 

Shakerhood

20+ Year Stangneter
Oct 28, 2004
3,359
209
114
Ohio
May 14, 2007
#15
  • May 14, 2007
  • #15
TomCat said:
http://www.easycarcovers.com/Computer-Memory-Saver.html
We used to sell a similar product at CSK, but I think it's been pulled from the shelves. Makes it nice and clean, though.
Click to expand...


I have one of those sitting around somewhere, I just have not looked for it or could not find it when I was about to unhook my Battery.
 

4G-KDMP

10 Year Member
Jul 23, 2005
935
19
39
CA
May 14, 2007
#16
  • May 14, 2007
  • #16
TomCat said:
http://www.easycarcovers.com/Computer-Memory-Saver.html
Click to expand...
those work fantastic.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Alternator not charging
  • SchwarzStock
  • Jul 6, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
168
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jul 19, 2026
SchwarzStock
E
2007 GT Stalls when lights or a/c turned on
  • ejscarfo
  • Jun 22, 2026
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Replies
3
Views
236
2005 - 2009 Specific Tech Saturday at 5:19 PM
manicmechanic007
89 LX Electrical Troubles
  • fun331
  • Oct 25, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
406
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Nov 27, 2025
fun331
X
Free VE Table Corrections — Drop Your MSQ and a Datalog, I'll Do the Rest
  • X-cam34
  • Apr 12, 2026
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
  • 2 3
Replies
49
Views
2K
Digital Self-tuning Forum Aug 26, 2026
X-cam34
X
Resolved 93 Mustang 5.0 - Cranks but does not start
  • dan50
  • Jul 18, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
344
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 18, 2026
dan50
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?