Scored cams only right head

ATRKalMt

Aug 9, 2007
We have a 2003 supercharged 4.6l with 2500 miles on a remanufacture from one of a so called reputable builder. Had some issues with external sealing and while correcting those isseue discovered that the right(passenger side) head had developed scoring on both cams and to the castings as well. I am courious why I see none of these symptoms on the left. Also if any one has a clue as to what kind of gremlin is really in this engine I would really appriciate a response. The scoring is on both the journals and the lobes,the intake cam shows signs of overheating as well.Wil try to upload pics asap!!

• Sponsors (?)

We have a 2003 supercharged 4.6l with 2500 miles on a remanufacture from one of a so called reputable builder. Had some issues with external sealing and while correcting those isseue discovered that the right(passenger side) head had developed scoring on both cams and to the castings as well. I am courious why I see none of these symptoms on the left. Also if any one has a clue as to what kind of gremlin is really in this engine I would really appriciate a response.

Where is the scoring?

Likely cause for scoring

:shrug: Well I think I have tracked the problem down with the head. Upon further inspection of the oiling systems in these 4.6l's I think I may have discovered a fatal flaw. Seems that the right side oil passage continues through the block to the rear after feeding all the mains and lastly feeds the right head. So my thinking is that any oil pressure loss at the crank would have such an adverse affect. But then again I might be wrong I would really like to be proven wrong:shrug: :bang:

sounds like your "reputable builder" might not have primed the oiling system before firing her up

if they didn't the oil has to find its way to that head after several (dry) seconds of operation.

I know that after a 30 minute run at 5000rpm's or more, I had the two middle pistons on the passenger side totally destroyed. The rings were melted or totally gone and the cylinders were scarred with burn marks. The oiling system of the engine leaves a little to be desired.

I'm not sure what you mean by "oil flow" would that describe an oil passage or galley or--- is there an oriface or tube of some kind???

Here, all the mechanics I had working on my car at the time were calling it an oil flow. But you may know it by something else. I by no means am anything other than an internet mechanic that can turn a wrench.:D
I should almost use MS paint to circle it but just start looking at the area that obviously got hot then look to see what it's missing as opposed to the other areas like it. It was almost enough for me to stop buying Fords all togather, MOBLE 1 Baby 100,000 miles like that. and the only reason I found it was I was getting better cams installed.

badheadau3.jpg

Attachments

• badheadau3.jpg
    badheadau3.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 117
there is no bearings on the cam journals. so if scoring happens it can score the hea ditself.

I understand that. But I would call it "journal scoring" rather than "head scoring". I had visions of some unusual scoring either inside a combustion chamber, or else on top of the head, as opposed to a camshaft journal.

I've seen it on a couple occasions... Given the cars I saw it on and that they'd both installed their own cams just prior, I suspected that they over-torqued the cam caps and caused them to gall. Oil flow could just as easily be it.