sct for 04 gt. need some input

flames201

Dec 23, 2004
st. amant, la
i'm looking to get the sct, and just wondering who has them and how good do they work. i have heard a lot of good about the sct, just wanted some different views from those who have them. also, where's a good place to get one?

• Sponsors (?)

excellent stuff. get the x-calibrator for $375 w/ the pc cable. I highly recommend it. check out modular depot. Oh by the way, I've seen 45 rwtq increases on GTs with nothing more than exhaust.

I can’t say enough about SCT. I got an Xcalibrator from the guys at Md and they did an awesome job. My car has never ran stronger. It made a world of difference in my automatic 04 GT. If you have the money get it, worth every cent in my opinion.

chips don't usually make too much hp. Where they really shine is torque. The GT that I'm talking about above is one of mine. I went from 273 rwtq to 319 rwtq just by the SCT guy playing with the MAF curve.

EDIT: You are correct about the HP. I only increased 2.5 or so rwhp. I don't guess it's a huge gain but it does make up for it in the torque area.

UVBNHAD said:
chips don't usually make too much hp. Where they really shine is torque. The GT that I'm talking about above is one of mine. I went from 273 rwtq to 319 rwtq just by the SCT guy playing with the MAF curve.

EDIT: You are correct about the HP. I only increased 2.5 or so rwhp. I don't guess it's a huge gain but it does make up for it in the torque area.

Aw...so that has to give a nice SOTP gain huh. Didnt realize they gave that much....but just to clear something up, you make it sound like you went to SCTs shop and had them dyno tune it(ie. messing with the MAF curve)...or was you meaning the programmer just tuned for your cars mods and sent you the flash tuner in the mail like normal?

Thanks, nice numbers BTW.Its just hard to shell out $400 for a plastic handheld device if you know what I mean.Now I dont know any SCT guys so do you know what it made with the "out of the box" SCT tune, before he messed with it?Sorry I worded my prevoius question wrong.I hear of guys gaining 1mph traps with the diablo, so I think the SCT would be at LEAST as good...just have to weigh the costs, is 1MPH worth $400 and premium fuel.When the S/C goes on I will probably get an SCT tune, but before then its just hard to say.Thanks again for all the info.

I can see how spending that much on something like that would be daunting at first. I looked at the good aspects and that's what made my decisions:
-No need for a SpeedCal when I swapped gears
-no need for adjustments when changing tires sizes
-no need for mil eliminators
-ability to read codes (obviously I know you can get scanners)
-better mpg if tweaked correctly
-slight hp gain, major tq gain (which tq is the most important part anyway)

I'm sure that there are some things I've overlooked but those are the first off the top of my head. I ran the chip (I know that it's a flasher but it's easier to say chip as you know what I'm talking about) once before it was tweaked and I honestly don't remember what it ran. I want to say in the mid 290s for tq and again a slight increase in hp. I've never taken this car to the track so I wouldn't be able to tell you about the trap speeds. Currently I have four program for this car: Stock for those warranty issues, 87 octane NA, 93 octane NA, and 93 octane Nitrous. Haven't gotten to run the nitrous yet as the car dropped a cylinder before I was even able to run it but the guy was telling me that they have seen pretty impressive gains on them too. Oh by the way, with the SCT guy tweaking the MAF curve I was able to from running a low 14 afr to a perfect 13 throughout the band.

Nice, I may just do that.Hope that guy didnt charge you for playing with the maf and giving you 1ft.lb more torque LOL.Man that torque sounds VERY tempting, and I cant keep the tires on the car in 1st as it is...could imagine what it would do with 40-45ft.lbs more HMMM. Your quite the sales man (or woman LOL), cant argue with dyno numbers...thats what really sell me on purchasing products, not SOO much testamonials but it helps. So I assume you felt a good SOTP gain, and heck your putting more torque to the tires than these engines or 99-01 cobra engines came with at the flywheel.SWEET.Jeeze I need to go to bed its freekin 1:55AM here LOL. EDIT: about that code reader part, as far as I have read something is different on the 04 GT CPU and some companys offer the 04 program uprage for the 03s AND that it doesnt read codes on the 04 year models.Weird if you ask me.

nah for minor tweaks he does it for free. Anything major like a complete re-write is like $40 or so; which it's more than that for a Predator re-write. I could definetly feel it with the always accurate "in the seat" test. All in all, I think it was money well invested!

Well if I find a guy that can deal with SCT chips then I will probably buy one...I live near austin Tx so I am sure there are more than just a few around, and if I am not mistaken SCTs website lets you find the nearest SCT dealer/tuner, but I will have to check again...tomorrow probably lol.But yea you have to look at it in the aspect that your not paying $400 for some plastic, your paying $400 for a custom tune and all the enginering and time that goes into it.Hmm makes it seem alot more reasonable when i look at it like that.

I have an SCT XCalibrator, with a 93 Octane tune for my stock GT. I noticed an immediate power increase, but I was having a problem with engine knock. I assumed this was due to the fact I didnt have a pure 93 yet (it was around 91.5 with first tank) so I just waited it out and avoided knock until I got to almost 93, and it seems to work great now.

I have a question about support though. Everyone mentions MD, but they never really ellaborate. What kind of support do they give? Are the forums full of guys who will give you tunes, or is it per pay ? I also dont have a PC cable, but it doesnt look like much to make. I was wondering if there were any plans for making one, as $50 is a bit much for this kind of cable.