Serpentine Belt Re-route

FullSizeRender.jpeg
Hey Everyone,

I have a quick question about running a modified serpentine belt. I have a 5.0 engine that had AC and Power Steering, put into a different body that does not have Power Steering. I have removed the AC pump, so I am now down to just air pump, alternator, crank, fan and tensioner. I am completely missing the AC bracket, which could be used to put an idler pulley. So, the question is, can I route a serpentine belt around the alternator, crank and fan?

I have it drawn out on the picture I have included.

Any help would be appreciated!!

• Sponsors (?)

I believe you would be turning the water pump the wrong way.
What are we working on here?

Hello!

This is a 1982 5.0 engine in a I believe 1983 body. My big issue is trying to get a serpentine belt to hit all the major parts without having the AC bracket. I'm pretty sure if I had the AC bracket, I could attach an idler pulley to that, and complete the circuit, but I've been having issues tracking one down..

Here's a few pictures of what I'm working with...

IMG_8247.JPG
IMG_8244.JPG
IMG_8243.JPG

The water pump will spin the wrong way. You'd have to get a water pump for a V-belt engine (like an early 80s car). Whether or not it will have the right snout length is up in the air. Water pumps are cheap.

Kurt

Seems like I recall a standard rotation pump for a serpentine belt setup, it was either an early crown vic/grand marque or a truck. Do some google research. A hint would be a grooved pulley.

Go to the parts store with the pulley and the water pump and have them pull water pumps off the shelf.

Kurt

Can buy reverse rotation pump but I believe will need to change timing cover as well. Look at early 80's full size Ford pumps and TC. Will also need a new radiator fan otherwise it will blow in the wrong direction if you reverse the rotation.

We have a similar set up to yours in a 94 Mustang but did not change the pump. Instead I made a bracket from aluminum plate about 3/8" thick and mounted an idler pulley above the water pump, to the right of it.

Belt comes off the crank shaft in clockwise direction, goes around the same water pump you have today (spins it counter clock wise), then under the alternator, comes off the top side of the alternator, goes under yout tensioner idler, then over the top of the new idler you will add then straight down to the crank shaft. The pupose of the new idler is to allow you to bring the belt down past the reverse rotating water pump without interfering with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Is the picture you are showing the car it is in now? I ask because I see power steering lines. You can buy the pulleys for the ac delete (basically a pulley that just spins and takes the place of where the ac compressor was) and they also have for smog pump delete and you could run the belt that way.

mustang-ac-deletes-79-93_9166.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Now, I am not necessarily recommending this, but I had a friend in high school route the belt under the water pump pulley. It only made about a 1/4 contact with the water pump pulley.....but it worked.

Kurt