Setting up efficient drivetrain, trans/rear questions

281pony

Aug 31, 2003
Oly, WA
i did alot of drag racing last year with the notch, this winter i want to build a stout driveline behind it. i'm sporting the wc t-5 with a 28 spline/stock carrier rear end. i raced all year on sumitomo tires, not a real serious setup. i'm now making another 140 rwhp and i want to get a nice foundation for the power.

car makes 440 rwhp, weighs 2800 without driver, manual trans. i was trapping 110 +\- with 299 rwhp on the setup above. i will be going from 410s to 373 gears. i also switched over to a torque arm with only like 4 passes on it before the season ended.

the questions..
rear end; im at 440 rwhp/400 tq. i am going to run et streets or similar this year. i wont be dumping it off the limiter either. should i just go for 31 spline stuff or is 28 spline stuff likely going to be safe? i will probably let go of it around 3000ish with the sticky tires.

transmission; i do not have anyone local that i know with an aftermarket transmission. what trans is going to be most efficient for me? i was looking at either the tko 500/600, i've heard all kinds of mixed stuff on how they shift. i just want a nice DRIVER transmission. what do you guys run that will handle some abuse sub-500 rwhp, what do you like/dislike? i drive my car alot, so keeping it super streetable and casual will go a long way.

i'll be getting a blowproof bellhousing and all that stuff along with it. i just want to get it all mapped out and installed before i break what i have. i can atleast recooperate some cash from my trans now. it has been awesome for me, but i know it wont hold up for long.

• Sponsors (?)