shaker 500 or 1000?

dohc97

Aug 9, 2010
Is the shaker 1000 worth the extra $1295? My current car is a 2003 BMW 540 with an aftermarket sound system; diamond audio speakers, jl audio subs, jl audio amps. My other car is a 2009 Mazda CX9 with the Bose system. For a stock unit, I am impressed with the Bose system in the Mazda.

Do I need to upgrade to the shaker 1000 to get it comparable to the Bose?

• Sponsors (?)

The Shaker 1,000 system adds two subwoofers to the trunk; that's the only difference. I've got the 500 system and it's got pretty dang good bass without the 'woofers.

I have the 500 also and I'm happy with it (although I must admit I'm still in the "Honeymoon Phase" of 2011 GT ownership and I still leave the radio off most of the time so I can listen to the Coyote!).

If you're coming from some hi-end systems...it may not be quite up to par with what you're used to...not sure. However, you could listen to both and see what you think. The subs for the 1000 do take up a lot of space in the trunk. If you get the 500 and think it needs more punch, you could get a decent sub and amp for much less than the cost of the 1000.

Hope this helps.

my dad has a shaker 1000 in his 04 gt and the bass is so loud/annoying even when it's on its lowest setting. if you're a kid and wanna blast rap music with a lot of bass then thats the system for you. Nothings wrong with the shaker 500 in my opinion. The 1000 is pretty cool to look at though

I have the Shaker 500. I was not content with the bass. I like clear solid bass, not booming or too loud though. The bass from the 500 is not booming and it is not too loud, just not as deep as I like. Sorta sounds like lower end subs that can't get down below say 80 or100 hz.

I added an 8" sub in the truck with a small enclosure and small amp. Made a world of difference, and I used plugs so I can pull them out easy if I need the space (never have).

It improved the sound by a big margin, and I'd guess it sounds better than a 1000 (haven't heard one to compare). But now I'm not as happy with the rest of the speakers, so I ordered replacements... Just need to find time to drop them in.