• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

shelby drop template

  • Thread starter Thread starter TC00GT
  • Start date Start date Oct 6, 2006
T

TC00GT

Founding Member
Nov 9, 2000
104
0
0
Auburn, Ma
Oct 6, 2006
#1
  • Oct 6, 2006
  • #1
Has anyone used the TCP template? Is it worth the 50 bucks or will a home made template (1/16" steel maybe) do the trick? I think the TCP template has the full size holes, I've seen some with a 1/8" pilot hole. Would it be better to start with the 1/8" bit and work my way up to the full size?

P.S. Anyone have an old template laying around they would like to part with?! :SNSign:
 

tos

Founding Member
Apr 27, 2001
896
68
59
Cincinnati Ohio
Oct 6, 2006
#2
  • Oct 6, 2006
  • #2
I'm a machinist and made my own which i think are better that any you can buy cause i welded guide sleeves on mine to keep the drill from walking. They are full size holes and if you have a good sharp drill bit you wont need to drill a pilot hole. you can borrow mine if you promise to send them back to me.
 

joesgt281

Founding Member
Oct 2, 2002
163
0
0
Katy, TX
Oct 6, 2006
#3
  • Oct 6, 2006
  • #3
TC00GT said:
Anyone have an old template laying around they would like to part with?!
Click to expand...

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/showtopic.php?tid/1354725/
 

krash kendall

Active Member
Nov 19, 2004
1,258
0
36
Aldergrove, B.C. Canada
Oct 6, 2006
#4
  • Oct 6, 2006
  • #4
I CNC machined some for myself and my neighbour with the intructions engraved on them (the '65-'66 one is reversable). I put 1/8 guide holes in so you can use a transfer punch or pilot bit. The intention is to use a Unibit step drill after the pilot hole.

All I can say is that after making my own, fifty bucks is way too much to spend!
 

ultrastang

Founding Member
Feb 26, 2002
1,092
2
37
Arkansas
Oct 6, 2006
#5
  • Oct 6, 2006
  • #5
The final hole size needs to be 17/32".
 

ultrastang

Founding Member
Feb 26, 2002
1,092
2
37
Arkansas
Oct 6, 2006
#6
  • Oct 6, 2006
  • #6
The final hole size needs to be 17/32".
 

zookeeper

Founding Member
Aug 25, 2001
3,415
63
109
Rogue River, Oregon
Oct 6, 2006
#7
  • Oct 6, 2006
  • #7
I wouldn't drill a 17/32 hole, even though I know most templates call for it. Since a 1/2" stud is what needs to fit, drill a 1/2" hole. Drills typically drill a few thousandths over anyway and bolts typically measure a few thousandths under. Any amount of oversize in the hole could lead to the studs (and therefore the upper control arm) to move around, which will lead to a wallowed out hole. Make it a snug fit and you won't be sorry.
 
6

66Runt

Member
Jun 11, 2005
680
2
18
Oct 7, 2006
#8
  • Oct 7, 2006
  • #8
I have always used a paper template

and a sharp center punch. Never had a problem. I use a 1/2" hole punch for top reference holes, and mark a thin "X" where I need to center punch the shock tower. Done a bunch this way, never been off.
I use a couple of 1/2" bolts to hold the template in place, punch the center of the "X", Quick measurement to make sure nothing is off then drill a 1/8" pilot hole. , then 3/8" drill bit, then 1/2" drill bit. Finish off with a chamfer bit to just touch the edges. No cracks, no miss drilled holes. Works everytime.

Graph paper makes it easier, but it's not required if you've got some drafting tools. When we first starting doing this stuff they didn't have metal templates, and we weren't smart enough to make them. I like the idea of punching through the center of a thin lined "X" anyways. No chance of being off set in the hole that way.

YMMV,
 

2bav8

Founding Member
Nov 30, 1998
2,511
1
47
Mesa, AZ
Oct 7, 2006
#9
  • Oct 7, 2006
  • #9
I agree that a 1/2" drill bit is best for the final holes.
Its a better fit and a lot easier to find than a 17/32"!
 
T

TC00GT

Founding Member
Nov 9, 2000
104
0
0
Auburn, Ma
Oct 9, 2006
#10
  • Oct 9, 2006
  • #10
TOS, I sent you a PM.
 

CarFreakGT

20+ Year Stangneter
May 26, 2003
395
11
29
Louisville, KY
Oct 9, 2006
#11
  • Oct 9, 2006
  • #11
66Runt said:
I use a 1/2" hole punch for top reference holes, and mark a thin "X" where I need to center punch the shock tower. Done a bunch this way, never been off.
I use a couple of 1/2" bolts to hold the template in place, punch the center of the "X", Quick measurement to make sure nothing is off then drill a 1/8" pilot hole. , then 3/8" drill bit, then 1/2" drill bit. Finish off with a chamfer bit to just touch the edges. No cracks, no miss drilled holes. Works everytime.

Graph paper makes it easier
Click to expand...


If you want a paper template, I believe there is one on 2bav8's site:
http://www.geocities.com/2bav8/granada.html

EDIT: Scroll down past the Granada disc conversion part, to the section at the bottom of the page for the Shelby drop. There's a link in the middle of that section.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

G
Fox Tire Size for 16" Pony Wheels on 1984 LX Convertible
  • gw7
  • Jun 24, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
181
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 25, 2026
Qtrhrse23
S
65 Coupe I6 Auto to 302 EFI 5 Speed Swap
  • Scuderia
  • Feb 3, 2025
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
14
Views
2K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Sep 9, 2025
Noobz347
6
Hey all,I’m putting together a 302 for my 1968 Mustang and wanted to post the combo + some questions to make sure I’m not missing crucial
  • 68_Disgustang
  • Feb 22, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
1K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jun 20, 2026
gray owl
G
T
Convertible A-pillar weatherstrip issues
  • thiefofcheese
  • Oct 24, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
410
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Nov 20, 2025
AeroCoupe
R
What's it Worth? 1997 Cobra, a ton of mods and restoration
  • riored97snake
  • Jun 18, 2026
  • What is it Worth?!?!?
Replies
2
Views
354
What is it Worth?!?!? Jun 21, 2026
riored97snake
R
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?