Shift Knobs For 06?

• Sponsors (?)

Have the MGW gripper knob and Saleen short shift kit, vast improvement over stock. Nice thing about the MGW knob is it comes with a special adapter to hold the shift boot up.

Vader GT said:
That's incorrect. 1979-2004 was M12x1.75 (not 1.25).

2005 and 2006 are 1/2-20.

Stangnut --

www.monsterknobs.com says Item #002 fits 2005+, meaning 2005 and 2006.

-VGT-

That's what I originally thought too. Then I went to Lowe's with the jam nut that came with my MRT shift knob, and using their test thread thingies they have by the nuts & bolts, it fit perfectly on the M12x1.25. A 1/2-20 will work, but it's not a perfect fit. And you're correct about the '79-'04 thread pattern being M12x1.75 ;) But then again, I could be completely wrong about everything :D

I have confirmed (through two independent sources) that Dave is correct.

The 2005+ thread size is M12x1.25.

Although 1/2-20 is very, very close ... and a Google search for 2005 Mustang shift thread size will turn up more than one post saying the size is 1/2-20.

Stands to reason the correct size is metric ... the old size (M12x1.75) was also metric.

And the 2005 knob was "borrowed" from the European Focus wagon. Again, makes sense that a euro-market part is metric.

Thanks for the info, Dave!

-VGT-

Bump from the past, as I was searching for info on shift knob threads.

Just FYI, Subaru shift knob threads are also 12 x 1.25. The STi has a reverse lockout ring on the bottom, but the rest are just straight thread-on. Stock ones have a provision for the boot. Good for me, as I can just move my old Delrin knob to the new car. :)

Kartboy.com and others have threaded shift knobs for Subarus.

Tom

Have the MGW gripper knob and Saleen short shift kit, vast improvement over stock. Nice thing about the MGW knob is it comes with a special adapter to hold the shift boot up.

I had the MGW knob too, and liked it very much.
Felt very nice.
If I wouldn't have made a custom Seahawks billard ball knob I'd still be using it.