• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Shifter Choice

  • Thread starter Thread starter Grabbin' Asphalt
  • Start date Start date Feb 18, 2014
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Next
1 of 3 Next Last

Grabbin' Asphalt

10 Year Member
Jun 10, 2013
2,029
310
124
Atlanta, Ga
Feb 18, 2014
#1
  • Feb 18, 2014
  • #1
While restoring my DD, I totally forgot I installed just the Tri-Ax lever back in the day. So I need to update this stock bottom part. So I called MGW and they no longer sell the Old design shifter, they have a blocky one that looks too odd to me and it just came out this year. I wanted to pull down the boot and show off that cool design of the Old design. Am I stuck with only the Tri-Ax option now? Btw I do love the look and feel of the Tri-Ax lever, so I don't feel it's a bad choice. Did not see the Old MGW on ebay either, who sells them that might have one in stock??
 
Last edited: Feb 18, 2014

Grabbin' Asphalt

10 Year Member
Jun 10, 2013
2,029
310
124
Atlanta, Ga
Feb 18, 2014
#2
  • Feb 18, 2014
  • #2
 

Attachments

  • 57511d1209477331t-experience-pro50-mgw-shifter-mgw-mustang_shifter_3650.webp
    2.5 KB · Views: 191

A5literMan

At least it is lumpy...
5 Year Member
Jul 30, 2011
4,674
2,343
194
Illinois
Feb 18, 2014
#3
  • Feb 18, 2014
  • #3
I have no idea to help...just wanted to say I want one!!
 
Reactions: Grabbin' Asphalt and 85rkyboby

Grabbin' Asphalt

10 Year Member
Jun 10, 2013
2,029
310
124
Atlanta, Ga
Feb 18, 2014
#4
  • Feb 18, 2014
  • #4
A5literMan said:
I have no idea to help...just wanted to say I want one!!
Click to expand...
I know, when I called the lady said they are not in production anymore
 

stykthyn

I want to measure mine. It doesn't look that tall.
15 Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
5,232
2,652
223
gainesville
Feb 18, 2014
#5
  • Feb 18, 2014
  • #5
I have heard great things about those, but just to keep everything in perspective they were by far and away the most expensive shifter. I dont see them getting any cheaper. Whats wrong with your tri-ax that you want to upgrade? I run a pro-5.0 and its night and day over stock. It's an old design but still kicks ass.
 

Grabbin' Asphalt

10 Year Member
Jun 10, 2013
2,029
310
124
Atlanta, Ga
Feb 18, 2014
#6
  • Feb 18, 2014
  • #6
stykthyn said:
I have heard great things about those, but just to keep everything in perspective they were by far and away the most expensive shifter. I dont see them getting any cheaper. Whats wrong with your tri-ax that you want to upgrade? I run a pro-5.0 and its night and day over stock. It's an old design but still kicks ass.
Click to expand...
Yeah i read where they are more expensive
My lever bolted on to the stock bottom part, it works good for that Tri_Ax feel but i still get locked out here and there with the stock bottom portion. It was never upgraded, I just bought the lever for like $25 bucks. Need to upgrade the entire thing now.
 

stykthyn

I want to measure mine. It doesn't look that tall.
15 Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
5,232
2,652
223
gainesville
Feb 18, 2014
#7
  • Feb 18, 2014
  • #7
ahhhhh..... I love my pro 5.0. throws are MUCH shorter and the shifts are solid without feeling too clunky.
 

Grabbin' Asphalt

10 Year Member
Jun 10, 2013
2,029
310
124
Atlanta, Ga
Feb 18, 2014
#8
  • Feb 18, 2014
  • #8
If my car wasn't a DD I'd try the extremely short throw ones but I like a little feel with the positive engament process of a DD. Good middle ground one.
 

stykthyn

I want to measure mine. It doesn't look that tall.
15 Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
5,232
2,652
223
gainesville
Feb 18, 2014
#9
  • Feb 18, 2014
  • #9
as long as you have your stops adjusted correctly I dont see how you could go wrong. I DD'd mine for a long time and no issues. best part was eliminating the long throw to 5th gear and having to reach halfway across the cabin.
 

Kumm3

Founding Member
Jul 30, 2002
527
33
69
East Hartford, CT
Feb 18, 2014
#10
  • Feb 18, 2014
  • #10
Im running the TriAx lower with the old Steeda Comfort throw upper. I set my drivers seat back a good 3-4 inches and was having a hell of a time reaching the TriAx lever with out leaning forward in the seat, which was not even possible in a 5pt harness.

Still has a pretty short throw to it. But they are out of production AFAIK.

So, I guess my info was useless. Ill take my $.02 and go home.
 
Reactions: krazedstang

85rkyboby

Active Member
Mar 2, 2011
923
96
39
South ATL
Feb 18, 2014
#11
  • Feb 18, 2014
  • #11
@Grabbin' Asphalt is this what you're looking for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MGW-Short-T...Parts_Accessories&hash=item417cb7698f&vxp=mtr
 

85rkyboby

Active Member
Mar 2, 2011
923
96
39
South ATL
Feb 18, 2014
#12
  • Feb 18, 2014
  • #12
Ah crap wrong tranny all together
 

Grabbin' Asphalt

10 Year Member
Jun 10, 2013
2,029
310
124
Atlanta, Ga
Feb 18, 2014
#13
  • Feb 18, 2014
  • #13
Good news, I believe I found a lone dealer that may have them in stock. After I can confirm and get my hands it, I'll post the webpage cause I'm not sure what's still in stock of the old design. That woman who said they are no longer in production scared me
 

Attachments

  • 57511d1209477331t-experience-pro50-mgw-shifter-mgw-mustang_shifter_3650.webp
    2.5 KB · Views: 132
Reactions: 85rkyboby and A5literMan

85rkyboby

Active Member
Mar 2, 2011
923
96
39
South ATL
Feb 18, 2014
#14
  • Feb 18, 2014
  • #14
Grabbin' Asphalt said:
Good news, I believe I found a lone dealer that may have them in stock. After I can confirm and get my hands it, I'll post the webpage cause I'm not sure what's still in stock of the old design. That woman who said they are no longer in production scared me
Click to expand...
Please let me know if you find them ha-ha.
 

Grabbin' Asphalt

10 Year Member
Jun 10, 2013
2,029
310
124
Atlanta, Ga
Feb 19, 2014
#15
  • Feb 19, 2014
  • #15
Here's a pic top left of the old design, there are a couple different colors with shorter throws, just scroll down and look for those pics. I like the red and blue one. The price that I've seen with this lone vender is $219.95, they also ask which lever you want, I'm inquiring of stock levels and the price to get all or add one etc, ....let ya'll know when I here back, cross your fingers!!!

https://www.google.com/search?q=mgw shifter&client=tablet-android-samsung&source=android-browser-type&hl=en-US&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Ts8EU6XBNYmosQTN9YGgAQ&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAA&biw=962&bih=601
 
Last edited: Feb 19, 2014

elarm1

10 Year Member
Dec 17, 2010
1,428
652
154
N.Va
Feb 19, 2014
#16
  • Feb 19, 2014
  • #16
Gotta love a MGW shifter!
 
Reactions: Grabbin' Asphalt

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,342
18,072
224
Massachusetts
Feb 19, 2014
#17
  • Feb 19, 2014
  • #17
New handle looks interesting. Looks like it offers a lot of adjustability. I wonder if it will retrofit onto the older base?

A few years ago, i traded my Tri-Ax for an MGW shifter with orange handle and have loved it. If i can find a red handle, that's the one I'd install
 

Grabbin' Asphalt

10 Year Member
Jun 10, 2013
2,029
310
124
Atlanta, Ga
Feb 19, 2014
#18
  • Feb 19, 2014
  • #18
The lady told me the new block design was a whooping $375~ish
That thing would have to coverd, it's so non~appealing to the eye.
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,342
18,072
224
Massachusetts
Feb 19, 2014
#19
  • Feb 19, 2014
  • #19
$375????

MGW's website lists them around $200ish.
 

Grabbin' Asphalt

10 Year Member
Jun 10, 2013
2,029
310
124
Atlanta, Ga
Feb 19, 2014
#20
  • Feb 19, 2014
  • #20
Mustang5L5 said:
$375????

MGW's website lists them around $200ish
Click to expand...
Maybe she miss quoted me I didn't look into the block pics or price.

But I have GREAT news!!! I placed my order and when it ships tomorrow I will fill everyone in on the Good and Bad news of what's left what I purchased totaled $245ish.
 
Reactions: A5literMan and 85rkyboby
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Next
1 of 3 Next Last
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

What's it Worth? 2000 GT
  • Mustang5L5
  • May 8, 2026
  • What is it Worth?!?!?
Replies
6
Views
430
What is it Worth?!?!? Jun 13, 2026
KRUISR
N
Vibration after new clutch
  • nipple_looker
  • Sep 20, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
23
Views
478
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 26, 2026
fasterthangas
F
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
362
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
H
Ongoing Battle With Hydraulic Lifters
  • hailer06
  • Jun 8, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
461
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 9, 2026
Noobz347
Progress Thread The Mach Returns - Update/build thread
  • squeak93
  • Feb 20, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
17
Views
755
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Yesterday at 8:00 PM
squeak93
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?