• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Shifter Choice

  • Thread starter Thread starter Grabbin' Asphalt
  • Start date Start date Feb 18, 2014
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
First Prev 3 of 3

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,342
18,072
224
Massachusetts
Feb 25, 2014
#41
  • Feb 25, 2014
  • #41
I kinda like the old handles better.

The red and blue handles were the original set you could get. They were the same with the obvious difference that the blow was shorter giving it a shorter throw. I installed a red handle in my 2003 GT and loved it.

Then MGW redesigned the handles and came out with the silver and orange handles. They were the same again, with the silver being shorter to descrease throw slightly. I *think* that all 4 handles will work on both the original and 2nd gen base. Not sure about this one.

Not sure about the brand new 3rd gen handle. The handle looks like it offers more adjustability, but unsure if it will retrofit onto older bases. If so, i'd like to try one.

Once in a while on Ebay, a solo handle pops up. I missed out on a blue handle a while back. That's the one I want. Silver handle would rock too. I should pick one up to replace my orange handle
 

Grabbin' Asphalt

10 Year Member
Jun 10, 2013
2,029
310
124
Atlanta, Ga
Feb 25, 2014
#42
  • Feb 25, 2014
  • #42
I just dropped off the silver handle to be polished, for $10 ...saweeet. Think I will install the shifter thursday and use the orange one til its ready. Then give them my orange one to be worked.
That other lady I spoke with said they would interchange between generations. If anyone who lives near atlanta who wants to confirm it after i install my base, we could check it.
 
Reactions: A5literMan

Saleen0679

10 Year Member
Apr 14, 2005
876
24
49
Yakima, WA
Feb 25, 2014
#43
  • Feb 25, 2014
  • #43
Mustang5L5 said:
I kinda like the old handles better.

The red and blue handles were the original set you could get. They were the same with the obvious difference that the blow was shorter giving it a shorter throw. I installed a red handle in my 2003 GT and loved it.

Then MGW redesigned the handles and came out with the silver and orange handles. They were the same again, with the silver being shorter to descrease throw slightly. I *think* that all 4 handles will work on both the original and 2nd gen base. Not sure about this one.

Not sure about the brand new 3rd gen handle. The handle looks like it offers more adjustability, but unsure if it will retrofit onto older bases. If so, i'd like to try one.

Once in a while on Ebay, a solo handle pops up. I missed out on a blue handle a while back. That's the one I want. Silver handle would rock too. I should pick one up to replace my orange handle
Click to expand...

There were a couple different generations of the blue and red handles also. The early versions didn't have the two Allen head clamp fasteners like the orange and silver handles. They used a fancy nut on the threaded shaft to clamp down on the handle.
 
Reactions: Grabbin' Asphalt

Grabbin' Asphalt

10 Year Member
Jun 10, 2013
2,029
310
124
Atlanta, Ga
Feb 25, 2014
#44
  • Feb 25, 2014
  • #44
I seen a pick of those too, they have a complete circle that slides over the shaft like you said. One would have to strickly have that base model to operate.
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,342
18,072
224
Massachusetts
Feb 26, 2014
#45
  • Feb 26, 2014
  • #45
I remember those now. Wow...really digging into the way-back machine.
 

Grabbin' Asphalt

10 Year Member
Jun 10, 2013
2,029
310
124
Atlanta, Ga
Feb 26, 2014
#46
  • Feb 26, 2014
  • #46
Mustang5L5 said:
I remember those now. Wow...really digging into the way-back machine.
Click to expand...

Think these are the ones....

 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,342
18,072
224
Massachusetts
Feb 26, 2014
#47
  • Feb 26, 2014
  • #47
Ah! i remember that one now. Wow, i'm feeling nostalgic now. That was prob circa 2003ish?
 

Grabbin' Asphalt

10 Year Member
Jun 10, 2013
2,029
310
124
Atlanta, Ga
Feb 26, 2014
#48
  • Feb 26, 2014
  • #48
Mustang5L5 said:
Ah! i remember that one now. Wow, i'm feeling nostalgic now. That was prob circa 2003ish?
Click to expand...

It has a more Teal Blue to it than the other blue, I think it looks pretty good.
 

Grabbin' Asphalt

10 Year Member
Jun 10, 2013
2,029
310
124
Atlanta, Ga
Feb 28, 2014
#49
  • Feb 28, 2014
  • #49
So I didn't want to leave a non-finished result thread so here's the link to what I did on the finished product, still waiting for the powder coat metallic blue to return (used the orange shifter for that one)

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/t5-shifter-install-pics.875648/#post-8804708
 
Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
First Prev 3 of 3
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

What's it Worth? 2000 GT
  • Mustang5L5
  • May 8, 2026
  • What is it Worth?!?!?
Replies
6
Views
430
What is it Worth?!?!? Jun 13, 2026
KRUISR
N
Vibration after new clutch
  • nipple_looker
  • Sep 20, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
23
Views
480
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 26, 2026
fasterthangas
F
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
362
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
H
Ongoing Battle With Hydraulic Lifters
  • hailer06
  • Jun 8, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
463
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 9, 2026
Noobz347
Progress Thread The Mach Returns - Update/build thread
  • squeak93
  • Feb 20, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
17
Views
758
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Friday at 8:00 PM
squeak93
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?