Shifter Vibration******

super302

I'd do anything for free Bapples
May 29, 2004
Davenport, IA
I was out driving in my slow5.0, and got on it to see how fast i could get up to 60mph, (new street, no houses/businesses, cars etc.) I got up to about 4700rpms or so in first gear and the shifter vibrated a lot, so i slowly put it into 2nd, same thing happened when i got up that high in 2nd gear too, and 3rd gear. After that i said screw it and went home!

What the hell is happening :(

Also, what rpms should i be shifting at with my puny mods :shrug:

Thanks,
Patrick

• Sponsors (?)

Did you recently change your shifter (or haven't run with the windows up much since putting it in)? That might be the source.

Otherwise, maybe the shift lever bolts have worked loose a bit.

These suggestions probably don't apply if you could feel the vibration coming through the seat (rather than the shifter).

super302: i have the same problem as you! At around ~4800 rpms my shifter is vibrating like crazy. Happens in all the gears, I'm out at school so I haven't been able to look into the problem but I go home next week. I'm definately going to check the shifter bolts and if its not them(hopefully it is!) I will drop the tranny and see what I can find. I'll let you know if I figure it out and vice versa.

Same thing happened with my 84 GT. I changed the balancer, flywheel. Turned out to be the pilot bearing. If there is any play, the input shaft will wobble around and cause everything to vibrate especially at higher rpm's. Took me a while to figure it out. It is annoying cuz I didn't want to get on it very hard. So, if you try the balancer and flywheel and you have time, rip out the tranny and replace the pilot bearing.

Has the transmission been removed recently? Had any drivetrain work been performed recently???

If when someone was removing the transmission, they let it hang on the input shaft while not bolted in place, then the input shaft may be bent slightly.

But check the balancer first.
Scott