• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Shocks and Tranny Fluid Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter AmBo
  • Start date Start date Jun 24, 2009

AmBo

Active Member
Feb 3, 2004
1,027
1
36
New Jersey
Jun 24, 2009
#1
  • Jun 24, 2009
  • #1
Hey guys,

I'm trying to clean up the stang as she's been neglected too long.

Regardless, she needs new rear shocks. What's the difference between shocks and quad shocks? I'm looking at Koni Special Ds (Koni: Performance) as I have Koni Reds up front already. Also, because it's a vert, I don't need a special type of shock, right?

Lastly, what tranny fluid should I look at? Right now I feel a bit of a grind and it feels like shifting through marbles. I'm using RoyalPurple but I've read it's bad for worn trannys. Do I need ATF stuff?? I've been recommended RedLine.

Thanks guys.
 
B

bdcardinal

tree hugger
Jun 10, 2003
3,612
16
69
santa barbara, CA
Jun 24, 2009
#2
  • Jun 24, 2009
  • #2
the quad shock is the horizontal dampener that helps make up for the junk stock LCA design to prevent wheel hop. a lot of the aftermarket dampeners are the same for coupe and vert to simplify parts inventory. just make sure whatever one you get says its copasetic with verts.

as for the trans fluid, heres the chart from ford. http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/supplier/quickref/mantrans.pdf
 

AmBo

Active Member
Feb 3, 2004
1,027
1
36
New Jersey
Jun 24, 2009
#3
  • Jun 24, 2009
  • #3
ahhh that makes sense now.

As for the document, link is broken.
 
B

bdcardinal

tree hugger
Jun 10, 2003
3,612
16
69
santa barbara, CA
Jun 24, 2009
#4
  • Jun 24, 2009
  • #4
dont copy and paste, just click on it. its a pdf file.
 

AmBo

Active Member
Feb 3, 2004
1,027
1
36
New Jersey
Jun 24, 2009
#5
  • Jun 24, 2009
  • #5
bdcardinal said:
dont copy and paste, just click on it. its a pdf file.
Click to expand...

Did you even click on it? 404. File not found.

I even right clicked it and tried to save the pdf. No go either
 

CobraRed_96_GT

Active Member
May 20, 2006
1,421
4
39
UCSD/La Jolla
Jun 24, 2009
#6
  • Jun 24, 2009
  • #6
AmBo said:
Did you even click on it? 404. File not found.

I even right clicked it and tried to save the pdf. No go either
Click to expand...
you suck at teh internets, works for me
 

AmBo

Active Member
Feb 3, 2004
1,027
1
36
New Jersey
Jun 24, 2009
#7
  • Jun 24, 2009
  • #7
CobraRed_96_GT said:
you suck at teh internets, works for me
Click to expand...


lies. proofs...
View attachment 253617

 
B

bdcardinal

tree hugger
Jun 10, 2003
3,612
16
69
santa barbara, CA
Jun 24, 2009
#8
  • Jun 24, 2009
  • #8
CobraRed_96_GT said:
you suck at teh internets, works for me
Click to expand...

+1 do you use IE by any chance? i use google chrome at work and i tried it on firefox and it worked peachy.

basically it says if its a t45 or a t3650 03+ it takes mercon V p/n XT-5-QM. if its a 01-02 t3650 it takes synthetic Mercon V p/n XT-5-QSM.
 

AmBo

Active Member
Feb 3, 2004
1,027
1
36
New Jersey
Jun 24, 2009
#9
  • Jun 24, 2009
  • #9
bdcardinal said:
+1 do you use IE by any chance? i use google chrome at work and i tried it on firefox and it worked peachy.

basically it says if its a t45 or a t3650 03+ it takes mercon V p/n XT-5-QM. if its a 01-02 t3650 it takes synthetic Mercon V p/n XT-5-QSM.
Click to expand...

I posted a picture using FF. I is the fail i guess

What about for a 2000 manual? I forget what tranny I have. God i'm so out of the loop. I used to love up my car. Now I just want a sport luxury.
 
B

bdcardinal

tree hugger
Jun 10, 2003
3,612
16
69
santa barbara, CA
Jun 24, 2009
#10
  • Jun 24, 2009
  • #10
2000 GT = t45
 

SRT Handz

I tripped & fell down and cut myself & got blood
Oct 10, 2004
941
23
19
La Mirada, CA
Jun 24, 2009
#11
  • Jun 24, 2009
  • #11
Wow, if you use IE, you fail lol
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
343
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
Drivetrain 83’ Glx convertible C5 Trans help!
  • JacksonJared2113
  • Dec 25, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
462
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Dec 26, 2025
JacksonJared2113
Place to Avoid: Jamison Auto Group in Gulfport, MS
  • D Durden
  • Oct 20, 2025
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
46
Views
3K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jul 16, 2026
Noobz347
Hello from California - Fox Body
  • gkomo
  • Aug 2, 2024
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
16
Views
2K
The Welcome Wagon Sep 25, 2024
SoulN
S
WTB/Trade Looking for a T-Top Hatch. Possible convertible trade? (Rhode Island)
  • 7upper
  • Mar 18, 2025
  • Fox Body Mustangs For Sale (1979-93)
Replies
0
Views
368
Fox Body Mustangs For Sale (1979-93) Mar 18, 2025
7upper
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?